AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Network flights and sharing  (Read 8587 times)

JimK

Network flights and sharing
« on: April 30, 2008, 08:21:08 AM »
Possibly a dumb question.

If I switch off the "Get flights from Radar Network" do I still continue to share the flight data in to the network?

I'm more than happy to continue uploading flight data and I have the tick box set in the preferences section to share what I get for as long as I'm connected to T'internet. I just don't know if I have to have the Network tick box ticked as well.

As an aside having stuck my antenna out of the dorma window I've started seeing flights actually moving on the ground at the Easterely end of Heathrow. And today I have taken delivery of a Wimo antenna. As and when the humidty drops from the current 110% I intend to mount this on the roof so should see an improvement.

As a second aside when I am downloading netowrk flight data it would be interesting to see who was providing it. Is that possible or going to be possible in the future.

Jim

Twickenham
London

Rockeyes

Re: Network flights and sharing
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:39:47 AM »
Select NETWORK from the INTERFACE box adjacent to MY FLIGHTS. Then bottom left there is a tick boc ‘Get flights from Radarbox network’ . That will then give you the option to display Network flights or not. You will still be sharing the data unless you deselect this under the preferences option.
Hope that helps.

JimK

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 08:41:30 AM »
Cheers, that answers that question. I just wanted to be sure I was still sharing what I was getting.
Jim

Twickenham
London

Rockeyes

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 08:46:12 AM »
Tools – Active network locations,  for the location of the areas providing the information. 

Anyway Hi :)

JimK

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 09:23:49 AM »
Hello,

Yeah I've looked at that. It's just a Google map with a load of pins in it that show nothing. It's pretty pants as you can't actually see through the sea of pins to find out anything useful.

If you have ever used Plane Plotter you can see who has actually provided the data in realtime etc.

Jim

Twickenham
London

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 09:29:59 AM »
Hello,

Yeah I've looked at that. It's just a Google map with a load of pins in it that show nothing. It's pretty pants as you can't actually see through the sea of pins to find out anything useful.

If you have ever used Plane Plotter you can see who has actually provided the data in realtime etc.

Yes, but that is only if you put accurate data in the PlanePlotter forum database.  I might not want you to know exactly where I am ..........

Deadcalm

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 09:45:56 AM »
It would be REALLY useful to see who was where when receiving and sharing networked traffic, if only to get an idea of what area may be covered at any particular time, and by what variety of sharers.  I can't understand why people are so shy of broadcasting their general whereabouts.  We don't need to know the address, postcode and telephone number or what they had for breakfast - just the town or locality would do...

I, for instance, am about 60 nm south of Limoges in France (as the crow flies).  I am in the hills, and because of the terrain can really only see the higher level traffic.  If I knew that another user was, for example, on line in a more northern part of France, I know I'd have a better chance of seeing traffic descending into Limoges, which I can't do at the moment.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 09:57:20 AM »
This has been discussed before a lot.

We have various customers from companys, airlines to indivudals. Not all want to give there location or town.

The google map is just a example of the coverage expected. Its not meant to be accurate. We will add some changes soon to turn on/off the coverage circles.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

JimK

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 10:02:04 AM »
Indeed, Just a general I am here and these are the flights I am giving you. It doesnt even need to be JimK is giving us these flights.

I just threw my WIMO anntena out the window for a bit. Not even verticaly polarised my aircraft count went from 170 ish to 220. It's going to be great when I actually get it installed properly. The challange is going to be getting that bloody great Coax installed somewhere inconspicuos (for that read not seen by partner?).

Jim

Twickenham
London

Deadcalm

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 10:24:56 AM »
I suppose, given time, one could look at all the screenshots users have submitted, and deduce from the "Home" position where they are...

Allocator

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 10:39:01 AM »
Maybe a "volunteer" database somewhere - maybe on the new "unofficial" AirNav Utilties website - would do the trick.  I don't think that most of us have an issue with giving a rough position, but the thought that a 3rd party might publish your location could put off some users.

Would you want your ISP to publish your exact location on a website so that everybody could see exactly where you were - I wouldn't.

Allocator

JimK

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 11:16:13 AM »
I'm up for being a volunteer.

Jim

Twickenham
London

steveb25

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »
Happy to host

Deadcalm

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 03:10:34 PM »
Allocator, without wishing to labour the point, I think it's clear through this post that no-one is particularly interested in anybody's EXACT location.  They/we merely would like to know where, geographically, shared data is coming from at any particular time.  It's not necessary to know exactly from where, or for that matter, who.

DC

Allocator

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 06:09:44 PM »
You carry on chaps, I'm 100% behind you - only expressing my opinion.

All it needs now, is for somebody to start collecting data so that Steve can host it on his website.

I'm quite happy to put my location down as Shrewsbury UK, but that's as far as I'll go.   However, I don't want AirNav to publish my location through my use of RadarBox thank you - that's too much like "big brother".
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 06:12:08 PM by Allocator »