AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Recording delay  (Read 8579 times)

Rockeyes

Recording delay
« on: April 29, 2008, 07:28:39 AM »
Without going into that very touchy subject of the five-minute delay over watching movements via the net.

Is there a reason why there’s a five-minute delay to start a recording?

Would it be possible to remove this?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Recording delay
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 07:31:19 AM »
No it will not be removed.

If the recording is saved live, it won't too long for someone to extract that data hence making the delay restriction useless.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Deadcalm

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 07:45:31 AM »
Interestingly, it seems it is quite possible (and feasible) to rebroadcast your live traffic via WMP as in the case of the Sao Paulo site described in an earlier post...

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 08:12:02 AM »
That is true, just like any restricted software showing details you cannot stop somebody recording it and broadcasting via the internet.

Allowing the data picked up through a our "recording" is negligent on our part and not a risk we want to take.
[email protected]

Rockeyes

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 08:28:14 AM »
Surely it’s not your recording but that of the individual and it’s with that person the responsibilities lay.
What about being able to record straight away but not being able to play the recording before five minutes have elapsed?

Deadcalm

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:41:58 AM »
Allowing the data picked up through a our "recording" is negligent on our part and not a risk we want to take.

I take your point completely.  Also, I think that most users would merely want to record a series of events for posterity, and for viewing at a later date, rather than replay it immediately - in which case a 5 minute delay is irrelevant.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

Rockeyes

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 09:47:16 AM »
Exactly!

Just put the delay on the end as opposed to the beginning so constant transmission (if that’s the worry) is not possible.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
If the recorder files are written to the hard disk in real time, it's easy to read the file in real time and then to share that data - if you are clever enough.

This clearly breaks the "5 minute delay" rule that we are subject to.

Rockeyes

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 11:35:18 AM »

Maybe a solution may appear in the future so I will drop this now.
I thank you and take your point. I certainly don’t wish to upset anything. Rules are rules regardless what a pain in the ar** they can be. I certainly would not wish to create any problems.

steveb25

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:09:37 PM »
Just goes to show what a crazy mixed up world we all live in.

Hosch

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 02:57:25 PM »
Hi all,

personally I would prefer to record an interesting event immediately. It often happens to me that I want to record a military flight or similar in MyFlights  for later analysis but with the 5 minutes delay it's gone before the recording starts.
:-(

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 03:48:13 PM »
Hosch,

You have this wrong way round,. As soon as you see the flight start recording, it will record what is happening at that time to a file 5 minutes later.

All,

As allocator says, if the data is saved to disk anyone can get to it. Not a risk we want to take.
[email protected]

Hosch

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 06:05:12 PM »
Great , thanks for the info !

Rockeyes

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 10:57:16 PM »
Hosch,

You have this wrong way round,. As soon as you see the flight start recording, it will record what is happening at that time to a file 5 minutes later.

All,

As allocator says, if the data is saved to disk anyone can get to it. Not a risk we want to take.

Now that would make sense but unfortunately I have just spent the last hour and a half trying this out and it does not work like that.

1, If I select record you first get a warning message that clearly states that 'recording will start in 5 mins'.

2, If you record for less than five minutes a file is made and time stamp from when it was  selected to record. If you then wait the five minutes before selecting play you will find nothing is recorded.

3, Final test was selecting record and record for over 5 mins. On selecting playback the first five minutes are missing.

Please don’t get mislead by the fact the recording name file time stamp is from selection not when it actually starts.

Sorry Hosch for the bad news.

AirNav I wish that was right as it would make a lot of sense. A five-minute delay after selecting record is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 06:39:03 AM by Rockeyes »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 07:28:23 AM »
We will investigate that, as far as our specs that is what it was meant to do.
[email protected]