AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Installation  (Read 6174 times)

Wayne

New Installation
« on: April 24, 2008, 01:41:56 PM »
Hi

Just got a new desktop and will be putting RB on there too. It's a while since I installed RB on my laptop and I know it's not difficult but looking at the CD packaging and then the  Manual, there seems to be a bit of a contradiction there :

The CD says connect the antenna, connect the USB to PC and install

The Manual says (in bold) "Do not connect the hardware USB cable to your computer before installing the software"

So what should it really be ? I know I ought to remember but I can't !

Thanks
Wayne

Wayne

Re: New Installation
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:47:17 PM »
Also, I presume I can install 1.5 straight on top of the factory version (1.3) rather than applying the 1.4 version too ?

Wayne

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »
Hi

Just got a new desktop and will be putting RB on there too. It's a while since I installed RB on my laptop and I know it's not difficult but looking at the CD packaging and then the  Manual, there seems to be a bit of a contradiction there :

The CD says connect the antenna, connect the USB to PC and install

The Manual says (in bold) "Do not connect the hardware USB cable to your computer before installing the software"

So what should it really be ? I know I ought to remember but I can't !

Thanks
Wayne

Install the software first - this loads the USB drivers into the AirNav RadarBox 2008/Drivers/ directoryso that you can install the right ones for RadarBox.

If you plug the hardware in first, windows will try to install random (incorrect) drivers either from those already on your laptop, or from the internet.

Read this FAQ - it discusses updating the drivers rather than a fresh install, but the warnings are still correct - don't let Windows do its own thing!

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=786.0

Allocator

Allocator

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 01:50:13 PM »
Also, I presume I can install 1.5 straight on top of the factory version (1.3) rather than applying the 1.4 version too ?

Wayne

V1.5 is a completely new install into a separate directory - AirNav Radarbox 2008 instead of AirNav RadarBox 2007.

Just make sure when you run RadarBox after the install that you are using the shorcut to the new version, not the old one - check the "About" box when RB is running to make sure V1.5 is running :-)

Wayne

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 02:00:58 PM »
Thanks Allocator.

I remember now about the seperate directory.

One final daft question (but I do worry about messing things up and I'm scared of overwriting something in this install which will then have a knock on effect to my laptop which works perfectly) is the RB hardware itself purely a processor and the drivers and associated software all held on the PC ?

Wayne

Allocator

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 02:06:46 PM »
Thanks Allocator.

I remember now about the seperate directory.

One final daft question (but I do worry about messing things up and I'm scared of overwriting something in this install which will then have a knock on effect to my laptop which works perfectly) is the RB hardware itself purely a processor and the drivers and associated software all held on the PC ?

Wayne

I believe that the RB hardware is just a receiver and all the processing is done in the PC by the software - however, I don't know the technical details, so I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

Just don't try to apply a firmware upgrade to the RB hardware if it is already up to date - that can really muck things up :-(

Wayne

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 02:12:37 PM »
No I only got the box in January so the firmware is as up to date as it can be so I believe.

I'll have a go at installing.