anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airnav radar box ranges and advice  (Read 22679 times)

acars45

Re: Airnav radar box ranges and advice
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 04:17:19 AM »
Thank you with my small outdoor antenna I'm getting a average of 160 miles highest so far 167 miles
With my new out four antenna soon mounted on the roof
Hopefully that should exceed 200

acars45

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2015, 06:17:28 AM »
Quick question I had my aieral fitted but the cable is to thick I getting a replacement my bnc is attached to my box what is the one attached to my aieral called
Paul

Runway 31

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2015, 07:13:22 AM »
Between the antenna and the box you need a 1m tail with SMA at the box end and BNC the other end, cant remember whether its male or female.

Alan

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2015, 12:36:29 PM »
Hi Alan and Paul, the SMA connector on the RB is the "female" part, the connector required for the end of the patch lead is SMA male :
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-sma-crimp-plug-rg58-mm55k
There is also a BNC male to SMA male adaptor available:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/sma-plug-to-bnc-socket-adapter-rs85g
although my personal preference would be to go for a 30/50 cms patch lead with a male SMA on the end - adaptor connectors are fine for VHF/UHF but not so good for SHF signals.
Hope this helps Paul
CGJon
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 02:19:27 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

neroon79

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2015, 01:34:33 PM »
Hello Jon,

PLUG = male, JACK/SOCKET = Female
The Radarbox Hardware is carrying the jack/socket (SMA female) and the cable is carrying the plug (SMA male).

The connector sex is defined by connectors contact pin (the center pin).

http://www.amphenolrf.com/connectors/sma.html look for interface dimension graphics.

Paul if you are planning to install a permanent installation -No disconnecting/connecting of the HF-plugs for a long time- it would be a good idea to use completely gold plated connectors / adapters for all inter-connections. The connection thread of the female SMA connector on RB Hardware is gold plated. If you use a nickel plated adapter or male connector it might be neccessary the disconnect / re-connect the parts from time to time for maintaining best electrical contact between the conntectors connection threads.

Ingo
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:37:43 PM by neroon79 »
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

Runway 31

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »
You will get a 1m patch lead from W H Westlake, just tell him its for Radarbox http://www.whwestlake.co.uk/  It comes ready made up no crimping and is very good quality.

Alan

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2015, 02:25:29 PM »
Hi Paul and Alan,
Ingo is correct, I was looking at "Reverse" polarity  connectors - just goes to show how confusing the terms are, and I'd agree wholeheartedly with the use of gold-plated components.   
Thanks Ingo for the clarification and I've amended my post above to correct.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 02:29:10 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2015, 02:58:22 PM »
Hi Paul, Alan and Ingo,
To further complicate/ confuse the issue, have a look here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)
Jack = male connector not the female socket, which is how I've always known it!
You pays your money, and takes your choice ...........

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2015, 03:08:11 PM »
Courtesy of WIKI
"In SMA connectors, the terms "male" and "female" refer exclusively to the male center pin and its female sleeve counterpart rather than to the threads that are used to hold the connection in place. The male connector has inside threads while the female connector has outside threads."
Hopefully this clarifies and defines the terms!

Runway 31

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2015, 03:16:14 PM »
Me thinks Paul will be mightily confused!!

Alan

EK01

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2015, 07:03:20 PM »
Guys,

Can the weather affect the range achieved. It has been 35C+ here for several days and I have been finding that during the day I am not getting much of a range. It is usually around 50 miles then timing out. In the evening, however I am getting around 150 miles before timing out. I have tried different USB leads with no difference and I am reluctant to go up onto the roof to check the connections of my outside antenna for water penetration, etc.
Not being an expert in these things, it just seemed strange that as the sun begins to go down, the reception goes up !

Ian

acars45

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2015, 04:51:34 AM »
I new Airnav set up is going well I got a super gainer 200 on my roof
With a slim Jim pre amp from my location in
Orpington kent I'm getting to Liverpool in the north Celtic channel of the Devon coast  right down to mid Normandy  I getting between 190-220 miles
Paul

neroon79

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2015, 04:42:59 PM »
Hi Ian, sorry for late reply

For me it sounds, that you have a cantact problem at hot temperatures. It is possible, that the attennuation and contact resistances of your connectors can rise, due to different thermal expansion coefficients of the components in your connection line. Loose connector screw-shells can increase the effect. If low quality connectors (very thin gold plating) are used,  fretting corrosion can occur on the contacts. This can result in a temporary partly or complete loss of connection. If it is fretting, the contact loss will finally get permanent.

I fear that you have to get on the roof to check your connections. But I would use the bottom down method. Means start at the box and end at the antenna.

HTH Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

HW:
AirSpy mini @RPi3

neroon79

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2015, 04:48:08 PM »
Just forgot:

If there is extreme dry air and very strong Sunshine (dark blue sky) and a insufficiently grounded antenna pole, a static build up could produce problems too.

Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

HW:
AirSpy mini @RPi3

EK01

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2015, 05:50:10 PM »
Cheers Ingo,

Had a friend go up onto the roof and check the connections and all appeared ok. They were completely dry with no sign of rusting or water ingress. As I say, it has been very hot here lately so I guess I will need to wait until it cools down a bit to see if there is any improvement. I even tried another USB cable but that made little difference. Alan is due back out here in September, so if the situation has not improved by then  I can have him climb onto the roof to double check !

Ian