anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Attic vs. roof.....  (Read 10253 times)

jwyman

• Southern Maryland Weather
Re: Attic vs. roof.....
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 11:36:21 AM »
Thanks Alan..... My fear is to start drilling holes in the roof to put a mount up, run cables and everything else, and find out it didn't help at all.....

Jim

Runway 31

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 11:56:11 AM »
My suggestion is to leave well alone you are getting descent coverage.  I see you have 3 or 4 with no registrations showing, are you running an up to date Navdata.

Alan

jwyman

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »
Alan,
  Just updated the database yesterday so I assume that is what you are referring to...

Jim

Runway 31

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
Yes that's it

Alan

jwyman

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 03:51:07 PM »
Alan,
  You have me thinking about what you said with your "roof trusses" inference. Maybe it would be much better on the roof than in the attic.. I just need to find a way to temporarily test the proposed setup to see if the gain would be worth it....

Jim

Runway 31

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 04:52:50 PM »
Jim,

Outside will always the best for reception purpose but whether its for you taking all factors into account only you will know.  A test with it up in the roof would be a good way of determining what you would gain.  The best antenna and cable with the shortest possible run will go along way to getting you an improvement and it would also let you see where on your roof you will get the best improvement.

I should also add that you would be better to check whether it sighting or type of mast etc would infringe any local by laws as this has caused problems for others in the past.

Alan

CYYZGUY

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 05:59:31 PM »
Ever since I started with the AirNav product, my never ending quest is to get maximum range out of my unit.  I have tried various cables/antenna's etc.   Your #1 friend is height.  Get that antenna up as high as possible!  When I was living in my apartment I had my antenna on the roof thanks to the landlord.  I was up around 130 Feet and was getting a solid 200 to 300 Nm range.  That was with a 80 to 90 foot run of LMR400 Coax, I cannot stress enough about proper connections.  Use N Connectors as they are best suited to higher frequencies.  Also, make them waterproof!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do not have many buildings around you, I would have expected slightly better range then your polar diagram was showing.  I am in a residential area now with nothing but houses around me, and you can see how good my range is from my polar diagram.  You also have to remember ADS-B is not manditory until 2020 in North America, so there is not as much to see as in Europe.   We are getting there...years ago it was mostly the transatlantic heavies that had ADS-B, now I am seeing more regional aircraft being equipped with it.  I also live a few miles away from Canada's busiest airport CYYZ.  I am close enough to get ground returns as well, from Snow Plows, service vehicles etc.

Height, Height, Height...good cable, good connections...  Done

regards,

Jason
2 Nm North from Canada's Busiest Airport CYYZ

DPD 1090 Mhz Antenna with LMR-400 Cable
Antenna 35 Feet (11 Meters) standing tall
Dedicated Airnav Station with 16 Gigs ram
Dedicated Radarbox24 Station with 16 Gigs ram
40" LED Monitor
40" LED Monitor
BCD996XT, BCT15X, BCT15X, BCT15 and BCD436 receiver