anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blackpool Airport  (Read 2426 times)

EK01

Blackpool Airport
« on: October 15, 2014, 03:04:01 PM »
Blackpool Airport will close for good today the 15th October 2014.
If you live nearby and you are quick you may be able to catch the last commercial flight departure at 6pm to the Isle of Man.
Based light aircraft are all expected to move elsewhere in the coming weeks.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Blackpool Airport
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 12:48:26 AM »
Such a shame - a really good airport - easy to use and friendly - park 100 yards from the terminal! I took my flying lessons there, and it's one of Britain's oldest airports, with a great history.

The Airport Development tax of 10 pounds per passenger (which included free parking) made Ryanair withdraw, and that was the death knell.

But the last time I used it was a Jet2 flight in 2008 - use it or lose it - we lost it! Perhaps Bond Helicopters, the air ambulance, and all the  flying schools and private operators will keep it going.

I'll really miss it.
Rod

Hawkeye

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 02:07:25 PM »
A real loss to the North West.

As Rod says, a no hassle airport with an almost’ Come through when you’re ready’ approach to aircraft boarding. Used it whenever possible as an alternative to the pain in the a**e experience flying from Manchester, and to a less extent, Liverpool airports has become.

It will also be sadly missed by aviation enthusiasts. There was almost always something of interest worth popping in for if in the Fylde Coast area, and it was well worth a planned visit to see a gathering of the stars ‘personal transport’ whenever there was an event such as The Open Golf Tournament taking place in the North West.

Participants in local,  - and not all that local, -  flying displays and airshows regularly used it as a base and the Red Arrows always seemed to manage a couple of nights stay there even if it would take not much more time to reach their venue as it would to fly from Scampton!.
Don’t know whether it’s true but the locals tell me it was something to do with a round of golf and a luxury hotel. ;-)
An uninterrupted view of all the action with  the Arrows parked up less than fifty metres away and pilots and crew of many of the display aircraft coming up for a chat was something special.

Blackpool Airport will be missed by a lot of people but I have a feeling that it won’t be long before some commercial enterprise with more business acumen than previous owners will take it on.

Just for interest I’ve attached a piccie I took on Sept 21st  from the path alongside Morrisons store.. Not many places you get a view like that for free.

Syd

EK01

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 03:25:06 PM »
Hi guys,

Possibly missed due to the Christmas and New Year festivities but Blackpool airport reopened towards the end of December albeit initially to only light and general aviation. The operator´s licence was reinstated by the CAA to a company known as´Squires Gate Airport Operations´.
They hope to lure back Citywing to restart operations from March.