AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Manual database updates get cancelled  (Read 6957 times)

Protzenalp

Manual database updates get cancelled
« on: April 13, 2008, 12:04:13 AM »
I am currently in Japan and have four particular aircraft, the data of which I have corrected in the database. Originally the registrations  came up correctly with the comment in the A/C Name column "Tie-up extracted from...". I have updated the data several times, but each time after a while the data returns to its original state (both in the database and MyLog) and the update is lost. It's frustrating, but why is it happening?

The aircraft are:

850E9C
86E072
863AE6

For 7802C4 I have put the data in the database and added it to MyLog and it disappears from MyLog every time (but this one stays in the database)!

Otherwise, 1.5 is a great improvement...still a few bugs though.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Manual database updates get cancelled
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 08:14:48 AM »
I am currently in Japan and have four particular aircraft, the data of which I have corrected in the database. Originally the registrations  came up correctly with the comment in the A/C Name column "Tie-up extracted from...". I have updated the data several times, but each time after a while the data returns to its original state (both in the database and MyLog) and the update is lost. It's frustrating, but why is it happening?

The aircraft are:

850E9C
86E072
863AE6

For 7802C4 I have put the data in the database and added it to MyLog and it disappears from MyLog every time (but this one stays in the database)!

Otherwise, 1.5 is a great improvement...still a few bugs though.

I regularly update the database manually, but usually this consists of adding new records using DataBase Explorer (to update NavData.db3) rather than correcting incorrect data.  The new records I put in always display correctly.

Remember that MyLog is written using the data available when the aircraft is first picked up.  So, if you detect an aircraft with no data, or incorrect data in the NavData.db3 database, then this is what is written to MyLog.  If you then have the data for that aircraft auto-populated and written to NavData.db3, this will not change what you see in MyLog.  The same applies when you manually update data in NavData.db3, MyLog is not changed.

Also, if you change data in MyLog, this does not affect the data in NavData.db3.

However, if you then use Tools | Populate in MyLog, the MyLog data is updated from whatever is in NavData.db3, so any auto-populates or manual changes you have made using DataBase Explorer will then be transferred to the MyLog data.

An example of this is for a military helicopter which has the wrong data in the GAS database use to auto-populate RadarBox.  I see the wrong data in MyLog as this has been grabbed from the wrong auto-populated data in NavData.db3.

I correct the data using Database Explorer, but it still shows incorrectly in MyLog.

Use MyLog | Tools | Populate, and the data in MyLog is updated and now shows correctly.

I hope that this makes sense :-)

Protzenalp

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 11:41:37 AM »
Hi Allocator

Thanks for the answer. It made sense, but didn't really answer my question which obviously didn't make sense!!

All were new sightings and sightings that all had no details in the database except for the fact that they were worked out using the algorithm. In Japan they are fastidious and these are almost always correct. I inserted the correct details, but they almost always reverted back to the previous state...most annoying.

Having had a rainy Sunday here to tinker with my settings I noticed that after downloading photos for each of these aircraft (some were helicopters without any photos on the normal sites) the problem seemed to go away and I haven't had an issue with it for the past few hours. Go figure....

Thanks anyway  :)

Allocator

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 11:55:53 AM »
OK, all noted.

I'm watching Network data from Japan right now - maybe some of this this is your shared data :-)

Have you produced any airport outlines for Japan?

All the best

Allocator

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 02:27:02 PM »
Wasnt there a problem in the past - which was supposed to have been fixed - that stopped you updating entires without a photo present ?  :-)

Allocator

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 02:30:55 PM »
Wasnt there a problem in the past - which was supposed to have been fixed - that stopped you updating entires without a photo present ?  :-)

No, different problem altogether - this was an autopopulate problem, not a manual update issue.

Protzenalp

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 11:41:13 PM »
OK, all noted.

I'm watching Network data from Japan right now - maybe some of this this is your shared data :-)

Have you produced any airport outlines for Japan?

I'm only here on a business trip. I usually take "the other product" with me, but now that 1.5 has been released I thought I would take my RB instead. It packs easier than the other one does, that is my first comment.

I am on my way to HKG now, where I will be until Thursday and will continue to share my data while I am there.

Regards
Mike

Allocator

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 09:47:32 AM »
Mike,

Excellent news, I'll look out for Hong Kong traffic now to see how my latest outline files look - I presume that you have these?

Hong Kong VHHH

Hong Kong Lantau Island

Hong Kong Island

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=717.0

All the best

Allocator
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 09:50:37 AM by Allocator »

EINN-07

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 12:41:34 PM »

I regularly update the database manually, but usually this consists of adding new records using DataBase Explorer (to update NavData.db3) rather than correcting incorrect data.  The new records I put in always display correctly.....

An example of this is for a military helicopter which has the wrong data in the GAS database use to auto-populate RadarBox.  I see the wrong data in MyLog as this has been grabbed from the wrong auto-populated data in NavData.db3.

I correct the data using Database Explorer, but it still shows incorrectly in MyLog.

Use MyLog | Tools | Populate, and the data in MyLog is updated and now shows correctly.

I hope that this makes sense :-)

Allocator, there's just one major problem with this which I have just found - after spending two or three days worth of work cleaning up a tiny fraction of my database !
If there is no photograph already in the photo folder the ENTIRE entry in NavData for that aircraft is overwritten when the photograph is downloaded :(

I proved this with an aircraft with a known good entry in the GAS database.

Firstly I stopped the RB. Next, I corrupted the entry for the aircraft in the database and deleted the fields for photographer and path to the photos. Then I deleted the two photographs in the photo folder.
Finally I started up RB again and lo and behold - when the photograph was downloaded  the good data from GAS was written back into NavData.

The only problem with this is that good data in NavData ( from manual edits ) will be overwritten when there is an error in the GAS database.