AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flybe ?  (Read 4197 times)

oliver14

Flybe ?
« on: February 12, 2014, 07:26:53 PM »
Just thinking out loud really, but has anybody heard when we may see the Flybe fleet start to be re equipped with ads-b ?

I know it will be mandatory by Dec 2017, but I Can't imagine that they would wait until then, and then have to do the whole fleet ! surely it would be better to do them over a long period of time and spread the cost over a few budget years.

I have no idea how long it takes to fit an individual aircraft or how much, if anyone could enlighten me I would be very interested, maybe as aircraft go in for major overhaul's ?

thanks,

neroon79

Re: Flybe ?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 07:30:50 AM »
I would guess, that they would integrate the installation of ADS-B equipment into the C or D-Check of their airframes, as most of the interior (all if D-Check) has to be removed during these checks. That way it would be much easier to install (if they wasn't installed previously) additional antennas, cables and nav boxes needed for ADS-B transmissions. Another advantage to procede that way: no further grounding times* were needed.

*That equals no additional financial loss due to the not-flying time of the airframe. As you may know aiframes only gain money if they are in operation. If they are on the ground the produce costs.

Ingo
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 07:34:16 AM by neroon79 »
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

oliver14

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:01:24 AM »
Thanks for the reply neroon79, that's very interesting, as you say, an aircraft on the ground is not earning money.

I imagine they will start to pop up in dribs and drabs when these checks are done then.
Living near Birmingham airport it would certainly make the map a bit more lively !

thanks again.

oliver14

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 01:17:28 PM »
To bump this previous thread, it is great to see more and more aircraft appearing on the map now of all types, but I am very interested to know how on earth Flybe are going to upgrade transponders in all of their fleet ( 80+ ? ) in 2 years, thats a lot of down time !!