AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Number of aircraft  (Read 13686 times)

Runway 31

Re: Number of aircraft
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 04:23:52 PM »
It is something that can be repaired and should last a good time.  I am sure you will get replies from some who have had the problem.

Alan

bratters

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2014, 09:05:58 PM »
Airnav's description of the symptoms is exactly right.  I went down from 80 flights to half a dozen and these had to be virtually overhead.

The repair was quick and easy - fitting a replacement part if I'm not mistaken - and I've had no trouble since; 3 years ago at least. Depending on the age of the box, I believe the repair could be FOC.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2014, 10:08:30 PM »
Hi Steven, as John says , once done my repaired PCB has been fine.   I've a feeling that W&S just replace the original with a modified PCB and return it - their turn around is very fast, perhaps AN or someone with inside knowledge could confirm or otherwise, but the repair is free if it is the SAW filter, and mine has been great since the repair.   I noticed a big drop in numbers when mine went, and it would only pick up A/C within 25-30 miles, but since downloading and installing v5.00.065 I'm getting reduced numbers, but this did coincide with winter timetables.   My lap-top has thrown a wobbly and trashed the C/D HDD and I'm still trying to get RB up and running with 5.65 with 64 bit drivers, so I may well be back in the next few days asking for help!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

theastra

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2014, 10:09:36 PM »
Thanks, hopefully they will answer my email with more details on next steps. How much was the repair, where did you need to send the box and what was the turnaround time?

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2014, 10:12:35 PM »
Hi Steven, contact AN Support and get a ticket number to be quoted with the returned unit, which'll need to go back to Waters & Stanton PLC @   www.wsplc.com/ , ask for repair under warranty.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

theastra

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 12:23:14 PM »
Hi, I heard back, and they do indeed want me to send the unit to the UK, although I doubt it purchased it in the USA and live in the USA.

I doubt it is under warranty any longer and I cant even read all of the numbers on the serial due to scuffing, so I think I am going to give SBS a try after all.

Thanks to all for their help, at any rate!

Runway 31

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 12:29:44 PM »
I think I would try for a repair, far cheaper option, but its your bucks.  The saw filter is usually a no cost repair, apart from postage to them.

Alan

theastra

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2014, 03:58:35 PM »
Probably. Hopefully they will reply to me sooner rather than later.

theastra

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2014, 08:20:04 PM »
I did hear back, but they say they cant even give me an estimate without seeing the unit. I can understand that, but I also have a hard time with shipping it (and paying to do so) 6000 miles roundtrip without knowing if it can be fixed or how much it would cost to fix it.

I am going the SBS route, after all and will use this radarbox as a backup or if I need to keep a door open :).

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 08:34:52 PM »
theastra.

We have replied to you with an estimate however we cannot guarantee the cost without actually inspecting the box. Your mention of seeing 20 flights is still high for a SAW failure as that usually deafens the box causing very little aircraft to be picked up, usually only a few within a couple of miles of the box.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

theastra

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2014, 08:52:28 PM »
You did, indeed, and thanks for being a bit more specific with that reply.

GreekSpy2001

• Graham's Aircraft Photos
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 09:49:19 AM »
just a  follow up from my part.  I replaced the RG58 drop cable that connects my box to the thick shielded low loss cable.  I put in a very short .5m RG58 cable and moved the box closer to the thick cable.   Hey presto back up to 80/90 constant hits in the My flights.  So looks like my drop cable was picking up too much interference.

Graham
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:06:35 AM by GreekSpy2001 »

Runway 31

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 10:22:59 AM »
Thanks for the info Graham, it shows the importance of the part played by the cable and the fittings.

Alan