AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Slow Start up  (Read 3861 times)

Judwin45

Slow Start up
« on: January 01, 2014, 11:47:26 AM »
Hi

Since downloading v5 I have noticed a much slower start up.

It takes 2min 30 secs from starting the application to getting the 'start' prompt and then a further 45 secs til the full 'radar' screen appears.

Anyone else getting a slow start up.

Regards
Keith
5 miles south of EGDY

hofs

Re: Slow Start up
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 12:11:53 PM »
Hello
I have the same problem.
I removed airnav from the computer and re installed  with a complete download but the slow start exists.

Another problem that still comes back is the Freezing from airnav after selecting All Photo's in mylog.
Somtimes freezing  occurs after streching airnav over 2 monitor screens.
Hopefully these problems will all be solved in the next update.
Greatings
Fred

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 12:16:08 PM »
Hi Keith,
Yes, I'm exactly the same, but it's never been any faster.
I'm on Win 7 Ultimate - 64 bit, with 4GB RAM and Intel Centrino cpu.
I've always shutdown using the red cross top right of screen, as it make no difference to me if I lose MyLog etc., I'm just interested in what's flying around at the moment, and rely on the DB updates to keep me up to date - 210214 rows (aircraft).   HTH

1125 update, just shut down X and restarted, took 1 minute, but whilst it was starting I had the white plate appear for a couple of tenths of a second, but if starting the computer from complete shutdown it take a couple of minutes, so I would assume that the cpu is doing other operations as it starts up.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:24:26 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 12:29:05 PM »
Hofs,

Re the time to show all photos, I dont see any way round this. My photo folder is around 400Mb with many thousands of photos.  I wonder what would happen with Photoshop for example if it was asked to open 7,000 photos at one time.

Alan

hofs

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 12:43:29 PM »
Hello Alan
My photo folder is also 400mb.
When using the older airnav version i never had a problem showing the photo's in my logg.
But since i use the new version airnav freezes in 5 seconds after clicking the all photo button and shuts down.
Its not a big problem but i thought that it should work normal.
Then again you have the slow startup procedure.
Fred

Runway 31

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 12:55:15 PM »
The showing over two screens is pencilled in for a future version.

Alan

neroon79

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 01:20:23 PM »
Alan,
the problem with the photo loading since version five is, that ANRB indeed tries to load the complete content of the photo-folder at once. This would freece any kind of SW if an amount of 5k+ pictures is loaded at same time. Windows shows the same problem if you try to open the photo folder with "miniature view active" on a huge Screen.    It would be better if it is programmed for partial loading. EG: load the first 20 pics and if scrolled load plus/minus 10 pics at scroll position. To proceed that way it's necessary to count pictures at the start to do a calculation for rough tiep-up between picture and scrollbar position. Alternatively there could be added a country & alphabetic search index to reduce the load.

For me it's really annoying, that if you accidentally click on all photos submenu your ANRB SW will always crash.

Ingo
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

Runway 31

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 02:11:04 PM »
The only time I use it is when I press it by accident but it never crashes it just does nothing until the photos are displayed which is a round 2 minutes.  Again just my point of view I dont see any need to show all photos but I guess there must be some out there that want to see them all.  If I wanted to see a photo of a particular aircraft there are better ways of seeing it.

Maybe making it work better is something to consider for the future

Alan

Judwin45

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 02:33:27 PM »
Hi

Because my photo folder is not mega large, as an experiment I have emptied the folder.

The result has been to reduce the start up time by 45 seconds.

Regards
Keith
5 miles south of EGDY

neroon79

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 02:40:25 PM »
Same here! The only time I click it is by accident. But unfortunately in my case after 20mins (or so) windows says "ANRB shows no reaction" or something like "ANRB does not work anymore". From that point there is only one "ugly" way... And I always have a bad feeling going it.

That's why from may point of view something has to be done that is preventing ANRV to show this freecing bahaviour causing dirty shutdowns if one is accidently clicking on show all pictures. If by making so the show all photo function becomes usable for all deliberately clicking on show all photos the better it is.

Ingo
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

CYYZGUY

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 03:42:30 PM »
Hi guys, I solved the photo loading problem by setting my swap file to ZERO in my windows Vista 64 Bit

I have 16 gigs ram and run no swap file ever.  Hence most applications and files load directly from memory.

I have no problems loading the photos or starting airnav.  I timed it this morning and from Icon click to full display with flights etc takes about 15 seconds for me.

regards,
2 Nm North from Canada's Busiest Airport CYYZ

DPD 1090 Mhz Antenna with LMR-400 Cable
Antenna 35 Feet (11 Meters) standing tall
Dedicated Airnav Station with 16 Gigs ram
Dedicated Radarbox24 Station with 16 Gigs ram
40" LED Monitor
40" LED Monitor
BCD996XT, BCT15X, BCT15X, BCT15 and BCD436 receiver

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 05:04:09 PM »
Please tell me more about your slow start fix as this has been a problem for me.
Dave.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

CYYZGUY

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 05:19:55 PM »
Hi Dave, because I have a large amount of ram in my system...16 Gigs, I have set my 64 Bit windows vista system to have NO swap file.   Ram is much faster then your Hard Disk.  I find everything loads MUCH faster with no swap file.

regards,

Jason

2 Nm North from Canada's Busiest Airport CYYZ

DPD 1090 Mhz Antenna with LMR-400 Cable
Antenna 35 Feet (11 Meters) standing tall
Dedicated Airnav Station with 16 Gigs ram
Dedicated Radarbox24 Station with 16 Gigs ram
40" LED Monitor
40" LED Monitor
BCD996XT, BCT15X, BCT15X, BCT15 and BCD436 receiver

Runway 31

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 05:36:36 PM »
Stands to reason getting rid of data will speed loading up and getting rid of photos especially when the folder can easily top half a gig will speed things along but its nice to see them.  Fortunately at my age 3- 3half minutes is negligable.  I thought the swap file used your memory and that larger would be better rather than no swap file.

Alan