anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Some setup questions  (Read 6416 times)

ukpbz

Some setup questions
« on: April 11, 2008, 05:16:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

I did a scan but couldn't find the answers to these 3 questions....

1) Why do some flight have altitude showing as (example) -3221 So a minus height? I notice this when I am near an airport. Its not flights on the ground but usually the ones closest to the airport or on approach?

2) The info box on the left, that shows all the details of all the aircraft picked up ALWAYS moves. I want to be able to have it so it sees aircraft local to me first. I tried using the Distance filter but that has so many blanks its useless. Also if you select that, when the info box moves to a new aircraft it jumps to the distance column so again pointless (Thats a hard one to explain)

3) Is there anyway of getting rid of the small photo window in the bottom left hand corner?

Many Thanks

Paul

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Some setup questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 07:25:20 PM »
Firstly make sure if you haven't, upgrade to 1.5 from:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/support.html

1.) Go into SmartView and enter your local airport in the METAR section. The height levels should now be accurate. The reason for the wrong height is the way ADS-B aircraft data sends height data based on barometer readings.

2.) Not sure what you mean, 1.5 means once you select a flight in table it will stay selected.

3.) Tools -> Show Photo/Flight Details
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

ukpbz

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 07:35:46 PM »
Many Thanks (As usual, great response)

I do use 1.5

Let me try and explain it....

So I am sitting looking at the screen and theres 250 aircraft being received.

The list on the left keeps changing so I never really see what is near me. I may see one plane but theres no guarentee that the aircraft listed abve or below is near by.

So I click on the top of the DistanceNM column, now everything is listed in distance, however if I move the display back to the Code/Callsign/Reg area, as soon as it changes to a new aircraft the table on the left jumps to the DistanceNM column

Paul

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 07:54:44 AM »

I do use 1.5

The list on the left keeps changing so I never really see what is near me. I may see one plane but theres no guarentee that the aircraft listed abve or below is near by.

So I click on the top of the DistanceNM column, now everything is listed in distance, however if I move the display back to the Code/Callsign/Reg area, as soon as it changes to a new aircraft the table on the left jumps to the DistanceNM column

Paul

I don't see this, I wonder how you have your map and aircraft list displayed?

However, Support, this does highlight a small problem with sorting by range - the column seems to be sorted by the first figure, so 108 miles is shown as closer than 22 miles etc

Allocator

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 08:41:38 AM »

I do use 1.5

Paul

OK Paul, I see what you are saying now, but the only way I can get this to happen is to sort by range, scroll the aircraft list to the left to see the registration, then move the mouse over an aircraft showing on the map.  If you just wait for aircraft to be detected and show up in the list by themselves, then the aircraft list doesn't jump back to the range.

I don't tend to sort by range, as I can see on the map when aircraft are overhead.  Also, the version of RadarBox I'm using shows the range and bearing of aircraft at the bottom of the screen anyway (I'm using a beta version, so I'm not sure if this was put back in V1.5)

Allocator

ukpbz

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 12:53:01 PM »
Hi

If we jump back to point 1... Incorrect altitudes.

I was out this morning and did as you say. But that doesn't work as it says EGSS not found. It must need a network connection to find this. That doesn't help when your taking the box around airfields. There must be another way to do this.

Thanks

Paul

Allocator

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 01:34:51 PM »
Hi

If we jump back to point 1... Incorrect altitudes.

I was out this morning and did as you say. But that doesn't work as it says EGSS not found. It must need a network connection to find this. That doesn't help when your taking the box around airfields. There must be another way to do this.

Thanks

Paul

Paul, yes it does require an Internet connection to get airfield weather and pressure - and auotpopulate and photo download etc.

The best way to overcome the altitude problem without an Internet connection is to listen to ATC and/or pilot communications and note the QNH - pressure at airfield evevation corrected to sea level.  This is what I did at Manchester EGCC last week using RadarBox portable in the car.

Then set this figure in the File | Preferences | RadarBox | QNH box and click Apply.  Remember that the QNH always gives altitude above sea level, so if an airfield is 300 ft above mean sea level, that is what the aircraft altimeter will show when it touches down.

If you hear the airfield QFE on the radio - the pressure at airfield elevation - and you set this in Radarbox, then this will result in the aircraft showing zero when they land (only normally used my military aircraft at military airfields).

If all else fails, then take a guess at the QNH and try different figures until you see what you are expecting.

I hope this helps.

Take a look at the link below for some more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 01:37:05 PM by Allocator »

ukpbz

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 01:51:44 PM »
brill

thanks