anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Maps and Defaults  (Read 8083 times)

Wayne

Maps and Defaults
« on: April 14, 2008, 05:07:21 PM »
Hi

Is there a known problem with default maps ? When I start RB my map is defaulting to the Stansted area (which is where I was on Saturday) which I definately didn't save as a default map. All I did was enter EGSS and zoom in on the area. Why does this default on opening now ?

When I use the Map | Open/Save option from the menu bar I have 5 maps saved there, one called home.ml3, one called windsor.ml3 and 3 called default.ml3 although I didn't think it possible to have multiple filenames with the same extension.

When I look in the directory C:\Program Files\AirNav Systems\AirNav RadarBox 2008\Map there is no map saved there called default, just the home and the windsor one. I can always save the home one again as default but I cannot understand the default to Stansted which wasn't even saved.

Anyone any ideas ?

Wayne

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
Re: Maps and Defaults
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 06:32:48 PM »
I have my default set to cover an area of about 40 miles round Stevenage. However, If I use any other map or zoom to any other area before I close down it is more likely that when I restart the program it goes to that and not the default. However, sometimes it does use the default but that does not gaurantee that the colours of my default will be correct. The chances of getting my default, and with the correct colours is pretty small.
 :-(

Wayne

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 07:07:57 PM »
Yes I find that with colours too although I have to say that sometimes when I open my map my colours are there but this is a rareity rather than the norm. If I select names on a map save and then close, the names do not show either when I next open that map.

Roadrunner

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 08:29:19 PM »
I do not think that the names settings, or the outlines on/off settings are amongst the items saved. However, we do not appear to have access to an .ini type file that we can check for what is saved to ensure they are as we want :-(

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:35:40 PM »
The details are actually saved (or attempted) in the registry.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 08:54:56 PM »
Hi

Is there a known problem with default maps ? When I start RB my map is defaulting to the Stansted area (which is where I was on Saturday) which I definately didn't save as a default map. All I did was enter EGSS and zoom in on the area. Why does this default on opening now ?

When I use the Map | Open/Save option from the menu bar I have 5 maps saved there, one called home.ml3, one called windsor.ml3 and 3 called default.ml3 although I didn't think it possible to have multiple filenames with the same extension.

When I look in the directory C:\Program Files\AirNav Systems\AirNav RadarBox 2008\Map there is no map saved there called default, just the home and the windsor one. I can always save the home one again as default but I cannot understand the default to Stansted which wasn't even saved.

Anyone any ideas ?

Wayne

Wayne,

If you don't have a map called default.ml3 in your /Maps directory, then you might have deleted it.  Just set the map how you want and then use Map | Open/Save | Save As to save a new default.ml3

This is my Map directory:

Where have all your default maps gone?  Have you deleted them, or are you saving to a different directory.

When you say you have more than one version of default.ml3, I think that you are mistaken when looking at this which just shows the last few maps you have saved:

All the maps you have in the Maps directory will show up in the drop-down, including the default map:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 08:56:48 PM by Allocator »

Wayne

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 09:26:54 PM »
Hi Allocator

Thanks for your help. You are right, the multiple filenames are within RadarBox and are maps I have saved previously. Have save another version of my preferred default and re-booted RB and the map I saved as default does now open. Still unsure as to why it would open with a Stabsted based map as I really didn't save that.

However, on checking the directory C:\Program Files\AirNav Systems\AirNav RadarBox 2008\Map  I still cannot see a default map in there.

Allocator

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 09:33:20 PM »
Wayne,

When you look at this screen, does it show the default map being saved to the correct directory?  Are you actually saving the map with the name "default"?

Also, you are saving the map into the RadarBox 2008 directory and not the 2007 directory (if you have one?)  If you are saving it as default.ml3, it has to be going somewhere :-)

How about doing a Windows search for default.ml3 and see if it's going somewhere else on your C: drive?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 09:37:18 PM by Allocator »

Deadcalm

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 07:33:36 AM »
I also have an issue with the default map doing its own thing.
RadarBox will occasionally open on a map which I don't instantly recall - when I reset to my default map, I find that it's no longer the one I've saved.  I haven't mentioned it before, because it seems it's just one of the minor quirks of RadarBox.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

Allocator

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:46:53 AM »
I also have an issue with the default map doing its own thing.
RadarBox will occasionally open on a map which I don't instantly recall - when I reset to my default map, I find that it's no longer the one I've saved.  I haven't mentioned it before, because it seems it's just one of the minor quirks of RadarBox.

DC

In my experience, RadarBox opens at the map view that was last in use.  I've been testing the outline for Hong Kong airport, so I shut down Radarbox viewing Hong Kong.  When I start it up, this view is what I get - so that's fine for me.

I just click the Home button and I get my home loaction centred in the map.

By the way, I rarely actually load another map, I always use default.ml3 and just scroll, zoom or use the find functions to move around.  When I want to got home, I just click Home - simple.

My colour scheme isn't always remembered though, but that is just one click in the colour drop down menu.  I really can't loose any sleep over this :-)

Deadcalm

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 09:20:01 AM »
I agree that it's not particularly serious - just irritating.  Like you, I tend to drag the map around rather than select specific maps. Occasionally when starting the programme, the displayed map is not one at which I have been previously looking, and clicking "Default" merely displays the same view. I do expect that my default settings be reliably saved for easy retrieval, and not be unilaterally changed without any intervention from me.  Besides, if these little quirks are not highlighted, and similar experiences canvassed on the forum there's little chance of them being rectified!

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

Roadrunner

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »
Besides, if these little quirks are not highlighted, and similar experiences canvassed on the forum there's little chance of them being rectified!
DC

I totally agree irritating but if possible to fix would be appreciated :-)

Wayne

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 11:35:34 AM »
Yes I can confirm all my maps show the directory structure based on RadarBox2008. I will search the C drive because like you say it has to be stored somewhere.

This is not a great problem for me either but along with Roadrunner and Deadcalm I would expect something that is set as a default always to be the default until it is actually changed and not some screen which shows where I was three days ago otherwise what is the point of saving default values.

Incidentally is there any way of clearing the history of saved screens from the Map | Open/Save listing ?