anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's the deal with sharing our box?  (Read 8432 times)

jetset

What's the deal with sharing our box?
« on: November 16, 2013, 09:04:24 PM »
I saw a post somewhere stating that with this new software, if you don't share your data you won't get certain info in return.
Is this still the case with the latest version?
I'm reluctant to install anything new until I know my receiving experience (which I paid £400 for) is not going to be compromised.
Not long ago Airnav were taking suggestions as to what benefits radarbox owners should receive regarding their radarbox24.com site and I suggested free real time access to the network if you share your data.

Here's the part of the thread http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=7416.msg88168#msg88168

So are we now penalised for not sharing the data that Airnav rely on for this site?

Steve

Runway 31

Re: What's the deal with sharing our box?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:30:32 PM »
Regarding access to flight information/photos/aircraft information as retrieved from the server and how V5 deals with it:
- If user is not a network subscriber he will continue to have access to the above data if he is sharing his mode-s comms - if he is not sharing no photos/aircraft info/flight origin-destination info;

- If user is a network subscriber he will access the data with or without sharing;

Other than that you have no receiving restrictions

Alan

jetset

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:47:37 PM »
Thanks for clarifying.
Although I've never been one of those people 'demanding' an update I feel pretty pissed off that when the update came, they actually took features away from you!

Where is the protest thread? There must be one.
Steve

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 05:56:23 PM »
The good lord giveth, and the good lord taketh away......

I wouldn't consider throwing money away for a network subscription when you can get fuller worldwide and local coverage from free sites, including mlat coverage.

the boat has well and truly been missed
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:09:47 PM by Marpleman »

jetset

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 11:59:16 PM »
I'm not sure you understand my original post.

I've never paid for a network subscription, nor do I need to. It is of no use to me.
But I resent HAVING to share my radarbox data in return for flight info. That shared radarbox data is wanted by Airnav to feed their radarbox24 site. A site I don't use because I have a radarbox and I get no perk for sharing said data!
Now if they offered free real time network access in return for me sharing my data I'd be happy because I would then be getting something in return for sharing wouldn't I.

Now it seems they are forcing you to share in order for you to get the same radarbox experience as you did when you first purchased it (for £400)
Steve

jetset

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 07:21:12 PM »
It's been 3 months and I find it strange that no one else has commented on this.
Am I missing something? Is everyone else happy with feeding data from their £400 box, to a free site open to everyone and anyone and get nothing in return?

Steve

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 07:35:03 PM »
Sharing data costs nothing, and if other enthusiasts can benefit, why not?
Rod

jetset

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 08:10:22 PM »
It's not exactly sharing though is it. It's giving your data so others can view it for nothing.
Steve

RodBearden

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 09:10:53 PM »
Why does that worry you?
Rod

jetset

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 09:42:37 PM »
It doesn't 'worry' me.
Rod, I guess I'm on my own here. I paid for the hardware that I'm now (if I update to the latest version of software) obliged to share my data from in order to receive the advertised features of that device.
It's a difficult scenario and the only thing I can compare it to is sharing your internet connection with your next door neighbours for nothing.

Steve

RodBearden

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 09:51:28 PM »
I would only worry about my neighbours sharing my internet connection if they did anything illegal with it (innocent poeple have been arrested when the drug dealer next door "borrowed" their wifi), or if they broke my download cap.

I don't see any possible downsides to sharing the data that my RadarBox receives, and I'm positively happy if other people find it useful.
Rod

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 09:33:32 AM »
My sentiments as well, I then don`t feel guilty asking a simple question and receiving a wealth of information within minutes from people like Rod, Tarbat and Alan.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

dl1812

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »
What happens in my case - I don't connect to the Internet with my Radar Box ?

The majority of users would probably consider that a waste of the box's capability, but I live between Heathrow and Gatwick, and under the inbound flight paths for Stansted and Luton; so the box was brought literally just to see what is around me.

Are we saying that if I upgrade and I'm not on the Internet, I won't get plane details, etc. ?
If that's the case, then it seems that I either stay as I am, or junk the box and get one of the free Apps available for my phone.

Cheers

Dave

Runway 31

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 12:29:29 PM »
I am not really sure what you are saying Dave, the details come from your Navdata so if they are in the Navdata they will be displayed.  There shouldnt be any difference as you are not on the internet anyway.

Alan

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »
Now, I'm really confused, if Dave's not on the Internet, how's he posting in here - have I missed a trick????
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!