anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why the need for encryption of DB3 database?  (Read 28785 times)

freqhopping

Re: Why the need for encryption of DB3 database?
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2013, 10:08:16 PM »
Glad I never shared my personal DB of over 466,000 records with Airnav.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2013, 09:02:51 AM »
Romdouk,

We are around and there is no silence from us. As you can see from this topic there have been very few customers who have actually been concerned by this. The topic is long yes but it’s the same users who are posting. The topic has been up for more than two weeks and has been pushed up the forum at various times and there still hasn't been lots of users mentioning this. We can also say no one has contacted support either to be concerned about this. Comparing this against the number of unique (individual RadarBox serial) installs of the beta the percentage is very small which does not warrant us working on this in the beta. There are other tasks which affect more users that are priority and much more important. (This does not mean we won't come back to doing this later on if we deem it appropriate)

However lets just make it clear, we do understand that a better way to access the database to update/delete/add is needed and this is being discussed. We are still however open to ideas to which will please those who want to use external tools with the database and also fit in with our concerns.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Runway 31

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2013, 09:23:49 AM »
Romdouk,

The reason I answered is that I stated I would ask the question, which any user is free to do using the usual contact methods.  As I asked the question I then provided the answer given to me.

Alan

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2013, 03:05:18 AM »
We are deciding on a an acceptable way regarding the encryption routines: we believe the best solution would be to allow unencrypted files but in that case no updates will be available from the server (if user decides to download  database data from the server then local database will be encrypted).

Regarding data sharing: it is not compulsory. If you decide not to share and you are not a network subscriber then no photos/flight/aircraft data will be downloaded from the server.

bratters

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2013, 12:12:17 PM »
Re Romdouk's post -

Quote "AirNav are effectively changing the "Terms & Conditions" after the sale of the goods" ........that would  seem to be the position.

If so, that would be in contravention of UK Sale of Goods legislation as the product would no longer be "as described". There being no time limitation in this circumstance, it would seem to be possible to return the box to the vendor.

However I would like to hear any contrary views or arguments.

Runway 31

« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2013, 12:25:20 PM »
Terms and conditions for various items, goods and services change all the time and are never set in stone for all time.  For anyone who feels agrieved the remedy is in your own hands but remember the result may not be what you think is correct.

Alan
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:10:54 PM by Runway 31 »

Bell 407

« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2013, 05:54:15 AM »
We are deciding on a an acceptable way regarding the encryption routines: we believe the best solution would be to allow unencrypted files but in that case no updates will be available from the server (if user decides to download  database data from the server then local database will be encrypted).

AirNav Dev, any feedback on this issue that you are considering? Any further details about how this might work for users?

Thanks,

Bell 407

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2013, 05:03:01 AM »

Is there any feedback on this issue please?

Thanks,

Runway 31

« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2013, 08:48:35 AM »
While I dont have the definiative answer I would suggest that they are developing the fixes for the few remaining outstanding issues before looking at niche issues.

Alan

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2013, 09:06:01 AM »
Once we have decided we will inform customers.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

John Racars

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2013, 04:19:10 PM »
THANK YOU! LOUD AND CLEAR! WHAT IS "ONCE"? ANY IDEA ABOUT THE TIME YOU NEED TO MAKE A DECISION?
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4