anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why the need for encryption of DB3 database?  (Read 28790 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Why the need for encryption of DB3 database?
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2013, 10:14:43 AM »
Quote from: LSZS
I hope that Airnav considers the Bell 407s proposal about have a version with blank unencrypted database.
When you say a blank database, I presume you mean with all tables empty (actype, aircraft, airlines, airports, routes).

Secondly, if you want to run with a blank database, and have autoupdate turned off, then surely you can operate like that at the moment.  Keep an unencrypted version of your navdata, do all your manual updates on that unencrypted version.  Take a copy before you start-up Radarbox.  Next time you want to manually update the database, close Radarbox, update your unencrypted version, take a copy, and off you go again.  And if anyone needs a blank, unencrypted database, I have one.

Personally, I would rather Airnav devote their precious development resource to bug-fixing and features that would appeal to the majority of users.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 10:29:10 AM by tarbat »

Bell 407

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2013, 10:36:19 AM »
Hi GreekSpy2001 and Tarbat,

If AirNav were to go with the V5B option as proposed without encryption, they would obviously have to provide the software upgrade with a blank database. You would not receive their current 208,000 odd record database as that would be their proprietary information.

The blank daatabase would only be blank from the time you install the V5B upgrade. Thereafter, because encryption has been unenabled, you would be able to use 3rd party utilities to manipulate your daatabase and pull in your V4 NavData.db3 file. From then onwards your database would not be blank but would be populated with your previous version information.

Hope this clarifies the isssue?

Tarbat, I think going backwards and forwards and opening and closing versions of RadarBax could be problematic as at some stage someone will forget where they are in the process and accidently encryp their database.

Personally, I would rather Airnav devote their precious development resource to bug-fixing and features that would appeal to the majority of users.

Agreed but I suppose Horses for Courses as to what people want and desire from the software.

Thank you,

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2013, 10:49:10 AM »
Tarbat, I think going backwards and forwards and opening and closing versions of RadarBax could be problematic as at some stage someone will forget where they are in the process and accidently encryp their database.

Yes, I can see your point, but it is at least a method that you can use now with v5.  I've tested this approach, and it works.  Why not give it a try?  I guess if you did accidentally encrypt, you would still have the exported Excel files to fall back on.  Or maybe implement something in the Navdata Editing Tool that takes a backup of the unencrypted database.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:02:36 AM by tarbat »

Bell 407

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2013, 11:27:19 AM »
Keep an unencrypted version of your navdata, do all your manual updates on that unencrypted version. Take a copy before you start-up Radarbox. Next time you want to manually update the database, close Radarbox, update your unencrypted version, take a copy, and off you go again.

Hi Tarbat,

Not sure exactly how that benefits the user as you are never able to access your encrypted database once you run AirNav V5. Because surely each time RadarBox runs it adds information received from my box to my database locally on my PC so I am getting further and further away from my original starting point. Therefore I can never extract that information once it has run the first time?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »
Because surely each time RadarBox runs it adds information received from my box to my database locally on my PC so I am getting further and further away from my original starting point. Therefore I can never extract that information once it has run the first time?

Aircraft received on your receiver are added to the MyLog.db3 database, which is not encrypted.
Code: [Select]
SELECT
  Aircraft.ModeS AS MS,
  Aircraft.Registration AS AR,
  Aircraft.AircraftTypeSmall AS AT,
  Aircraft.AircraftTypeLong AS AN,
  Aircraft.Airline AS AC
FROM
 Aircraft

So, if you want to "merge" information received on your box with data from your other manual sources, you should be able to do that external to ANRB by extracting the aircraft data from MyLog and merging with your manual sources.  I know this isn't a perfect solution, but I'm just trying to suggest workarounds that you can use now, rather than waiting for anything that Airnav may provide in the future.  The design intention when the two databases (Navdata & MyLog) were originally conceived was that Navdata is static data provided by Airnav, and MyLog is the dynamic data from your receiver.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 03:36:42 PM by tarbat »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2013, 11:49:23 AM »
I own a RDB and manipulate the DB to extract MIL hex codes to use in another alerting utility for my own use.
If you're trying to extract MIL hex codes of aircraft you've received, can't you extract them from the MyLog database which isn't encrypted?

GreekSpy2001

• Graham's Aircraft Photos
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2013, 12:16:16 PM »
No trying to extract all Mil codes for my spotting purposes so interested in being alerted to those that I have not received before as well as those previously received.  So the Mylog wouldn't provide the answer for me.

Graham

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2013, 01:43:29 PM »
No trying to extract all Mil codes for my spotting purposes so interested in being alerted to those that I have not received before as well as those previously received
If your interest is primarily military, then you might want to look at using http://www.live-military-mode-s.eu/
Also you could try using one of the free databases to extract mil hexcodes, such as the basestation.sqb available at http://pp-sqb.mantma.co.uk/

Chris11

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2013, 01:06:13 PM »
Alan - I do not understand your statement "During the period covered by your decision not to provide any further info for the database, a large number of SA registered aircraft were added again without any assistance."

I still provide information when I see an unidentified aircraft on my network screen or in MyLog when I get home from work.

For ZS aircraft it is relatively simple as the CAA follows the sequence but for ZU a bit of detective work is needed. The CAA only publish register changes once a month but once that is done it is easy to get the detail from Avdex.

My contributions have been delayed due to work pressures and less time in front of the screen.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:11:18 PM by Chris11 »

Runway 31

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2013, 04:11:57 PM »
Thanks Chris,  a number of months ago you or someone I took to be you stated that you would not be providing any assistance in protest at there being no updates to the software.  As we have only recently started to hear from you again since the release of the V5 software I took that to be the case.

If I was mistaken in my assertion, I apologise and I fully appreciate how other pressures can eat into the time available.  In any case I very pleased to hear from you again and welcome any information that you can provide which will assist the Radarbox users in SA.

Alan

Chris11

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2013, 02:48:57 PM »
Not me - I stopped posting non African aircraft detail as most of the time there were others with more detail than me
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:08:34 PM by Chris11 »

Runway 31

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2013, 03:09:50 PM »
No worries Chris, glad to have you back anyway.

Alan

Bell 407

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2013, 03:29:43 PM »
It may be an interesting possiblity Bell407.  I will make the suggestion to Airnav to see if it is feasible to provide a version with a blank unecrypted database with no server access to update for the 2 or 3 users with that preference.

Afternoon Alan,

Any feedback from AirNav on this V5A and V5B issue?

Thank you,

Runway 31

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2013, 04:03:25 PM »
Still working on the current version upgrade.

Alan

Runway 31

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2013, 10:04:57 PM »
Bell407,

Answer from Airnav, due to the likelyhood of a very limited take up of a blank Navdata version with no update service it has been decided not to go ahead and to use the time more productively.

Alan