anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using old 3.13/4.03 databases (data, log, photos) in 5.x Software  (Read 8180 times)

Runway 31

Re: Using old 3.13/4.03 databases (data, log, photos) in 5.x Software
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 12:49:17 PM »
John,

Myflights are the flights your box is picking up.

Alan

John Racars

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 02:13:55 PM »
Thank you verry much Alan!

I understand all about MyFlight now but I saw not what was happening when pressing the button or F9..........

It is clear to me now.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:19:01 PM by John Racars »
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

Netcop

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 12:40:24 PM »
It's nice to hear that the next release of the software will check the existing photo folder first and use the photos from there automatically as all we believe. It will give me a possibility for smooth migration of my huge current photobase into v5 version.

Below is my idea how current users may obtain a possibility for smooth migration of their aircraft database from current their Navdata base to V5 version. Personally, I have a lot of manually changed records in this base and in many cases even don't remember if this record was manually updated.  But I want to keep my changes untouched during Auto-Populate procedure in v5 (other than changing Autoupdate field to N for hundreds and hundreds records). And also I want to keep working Auto-Populate function in my v5 system.

All that  I ask AirNav to do to protect my own previous work on database -  is implement one more choice button in the Preferences/RadarBox/Photo and Aircraft Auto-Populate area - Do not overwrite existing aircrafts records.

If this button will be ticked, the Auto-Populate procedure will be process in the "old" V3.13/4.03 way:

AutoPopulate function just adds a new entry to a database if this aircraft is new (entry with specific Mode-S address does not exist in database). If entry with specific Mode-S address already exists, AutoPopulate doesn't attempt to overwrite current entry with server one, basically didn't do anything in this case.

I don't think that implementation of my idea will need a lot of programming efforts from AirNav side but will definitely provide a lot of benefits for current RadarBox users.

Regards,
Nick
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 03:59:56 PM by Netcop »
Greetings from Russia, Moscow
20.54 nm NWN of UUDD

SW: ANRB v 3.13/ANRB v 4.03 3D, XP SP3
HW: SkyCentre Quad Core PC for 24/7 operation
Antenna: outside SSE 1090SJ mk2
Amp: Wimo AS-1090
Cable: Draka NK Cables RFF 1/2'-50
RadarBox24 station: Netcop

Runway 31

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 01:20:40 PM »
Only problem that I can see is where changes are made to the details other than the hexcode for example when the code is re-allocated to another aircraft or when the operator changes.  Another example here in the UK the hex code stays with the aircraft with registration changes.

Alan

vonsmalhausen

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 03:48:21 PM »
I just did a update of the DB ( aircraft only ) with the auto-populate aircraft data ticked.
at first sight none of the records that I have changed with the auto-update set to N so far in the DB seems to have changed after this, so I assume the photo I assigned in the PTTN field will be loaded.
so, is it ok to leave the auto-populate on to get new records, without having you're photos changed, as long as you set auto-update to N ?........ sorry to be a pain, but I just do not understand this new way of how the DB works.

Netcop

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 04:02:28 PM »
Hi Alan,

Yes, I see both of yours points. But my idea here is to find some solution which would give RаdarBox’s veterans a simple way to migrate their own databases to v5 and to keep them working. Radarbox’s  veterans are aware about limitations which you have highlighted, I believe.

This a possible button (I mean - Do not overwrite existing aircrafts records) isn’t a rule but just a choice. AirNav has established a lot of strict rules in V5, I believe that AirNav may give us a choice as well...

Regards,
Nick

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 04:15:31 PM by Netcop »
20.54 nm NWN of UUDD

Runway 31

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »
I understand what you mean Nick and your suggestion has been forwarded and is being considered.

Alan

Netcop

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 04:27:16 PM »
Thanks, Alan

Nick
20.54 nm NWN of UUDD

Runway 31

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 04:56:16 PM »
vomsmalhausen, When updating the whole database you must also set the Sync Option to Do Not Update Manually Changed Records,

I would suggest that you try it with the photos of a couple of aircraft that you see every day to ensure that you have it correct.

Alan

vonsmalhausen

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 07:02:57 PM »
Alan, the Sync option for manually changed records is set to "do not update"
for the moment, I spend my free time to alter my DB to "N" for auto update, ad a timestamp and a filename in PTTN, and also delete the regular LK/LK1 and PT/PT2 fields for the records I have a recent/correct picture.
this work will take me several more weeks, meanwhile, I simply don't have the time to check if updates alter my work back to scratch (for the moment I do not connect my box anymore, just launch the program to work with the DB explorer ).
maybe if I get to the "OO-" part of the DB, i'll be able to spend a couple of days checking out some settings, but this lies WEEKS ahead of me.
meanwhile, thanks for the tips and suggests so far ( and I second Netcops suggestion for the "Do not overwrite existing aircrafts records" option )

Runway 31

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »
I think I would check first

Alan