AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Using old 3.13/4.03 databases (data, log, photos) in 5.x Software  (Read 8178 times)

Netcop

I have decided to start this topic because I believe that such issues are very important for all long-time RadarBox users and must be clearly highlighted by the AirNav and Testers team.

My first question is about usage of my current My Log file in 5.х.
Size – around 26 Mb, aircraft table – around 11000 entries. I placed this file in Data directory of 5.х instead of an empty one supplied with software. Moving between entries takes up to 10 seconds and the interface is not responsive during that time. Any ideas why?

My second portion of questions concerns usage of my current 3.13/4.03 NavData file in 5.x.

1.   Which exact criteria makes difference between manual and official entries? For example - if I change only AC field in the database, will this record be manual or official after that?
2.   How can I identify differences between manual and official entries in my current 3.13/4.03 database?
3.   What is the exact purpose of Autoupdate field in the database?
4.   What is Autoupdate?
5.   If I use only Auto-Populate buttons in the Preferences Menu and Populate button in MyLog windows may I expect that I will have Navdata updates  in “3.13/4.03 old-fashion” way?

My third question is concerning my current photo base usage in 5.x.
My base consists of more than 32000 photos carefully selected during the years having started from AirNav ACARS decoder times and being regularly updated (and published here). But as far as I understand now we need to have  PPTN and PPTN2 fields in Navdata filled to have the photos displayed. How can I have my current photo base working after software upgrade to 5.x? By making thousands of entries in NavData base manually?

Thanks,

Nick
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:04:35 PM by Netcop »
Greetings from Russia, Moscow
20.54 nm NWN of UUDD

SW: ANRB v 3.13/ANRB v 4.03 3D, XP SP3
HW: SkyCentre Quad Core PC for 24/7 operation
Antenna: outside SSE 1090SJ mk2
Amp: Wimo AS-1090
Cable: Draka NK Cables RFF 1/2'-50
RadarBox24 station: Netcop

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Using old 3.13/4.03 databases (data, log, photos) in 5.x Software
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 06:03:43 PM »
Quote from: Netcop
Moving between entries takes up to 10 seconds and the interface is not responsive during that time. Any ideas why?
I think a couple of you have reported this problem, so I'll log it as an issue to be investigated into the tracking system - FS#257.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:53:53 PM »
I'll give you my understanding of these things.

My first question is about usage of my current My Log file in 5.х.
Size – around 26 Mb, aircraft table – around 11000 entries. I placed this file in Data directory of 5.х instead of an empty one supplied with software. Moving between entries takes up to 10 seconds and the interface is not responsive during that time. Any ideas why?
This looks like a possible bug, that will be looked into.

1.   Which exact criteria makes difference between manual and official entries? For example - if I change only AC field in the database, will this record be manual or official after that?
I don't really know what you mean by "manual" and "official" entries.  If you mark an aircraft record with AUTOUPDATE="N", you're telling Radarbox not to update this record.

2.   How can I identify differences between manual and official entries in my current 3.13/4.03 database?
Sort on the AUTOUPDATE field, or select records with N in the AUTOUPDATE field.

3.   What is the exact purpose of Autoupdate field in the database?
If you set this to N, this affects two areas:
1. If you tick "Autopopulate Aircraft Data" in Preferences, records with N will not be updated as aircraft are received, unless you also tick "Auto Update Manually Changed Records".
2. In the Database Update section of Database Explorer, if you select "Do not update manually changed records", records with N will not be updated.

4.   What is Autoupdate?
Autoupdate happens in real-time as aircraft are received in your MyFlights list, or you click on an aircraft in the Networks list.  It populates the aircraft record, and downloads thumbnail photos.

5.   If I use only Auto-Populate buttons in the Preferences Menu and Populate button in MyLog windows may I expect that I will have Navdata updates  in “3.13/4.03 old-fashion” way?
Yes, that's my understanding.

My third question is concerning my current photo base usage in 5.x.
My base consists of more than 32000 photos carefully selected during the years having started from AirNav ACARS decoder times and being regularly updated (and published here). But as far as I understand now we need to have  PPTN and PPTN2 fields in Navdata filled to have the photos displayed. How can I have my current photo base working after software upgrade to 5.x? By making thousands of entries in NavData base manually?
This is a good point and reinforces something I've already asked Airnav to consider.  I would like v5 to do as follows.  If PTTN is blank, then look for a thumbnail file with the same name as the aircraft registration.  Ditto for PTTN2.  I will raise this as a Feature Request - FS#258.  Also see point 2 at http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=7522.msg89996#msg89996

Any questions, just ask and I'll try to help.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:28:49 PM by tarbat »

Northern Watch

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 09:15:18 PM »
Good evening tarbat

Took the plunge tonight and did the 2 downloads after deleting version 3.13 even though my box is away being repaired.  For someone who is not computer literate it went resonably well and with some of your tips I managed to get this up and running in a fashion and after downloading a copy of mylog and photos, I found some of the problems that Netcop reported:

1. Moving between entries in mylog takes up to 10 seconds and the interface is not responsive during that time. Selecting "All Time" takes ages to load and then going back to "today" leaves the last Flight ID details you were on at the bottom of the page if no flights were recorded for that day.

2. I unfortunately downloaded my Photo files in to the new programme and now I understand I need to have  PPTN and PPTN2 fields in Navdata filled to have the photos displaying.

I see that both problems and others will be investigated.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Regards

Keith

Runway 31

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 07:59:58 AM »
Netcop,

An official entry is one from the database, a manual entry is one the user has changed themselves and it differs from what is on the server database.

Alan

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »
Netcop, can you clarify.  Did you upgrade from 4.13, or do a full install?
IGNORE: Managed to reproduce the problem.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:29:15 PM by tarbat »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 10:12:32 PM »
This has worked for one user (shouriken), so you might want to try this solution.

Quote from: tarbat
If you're prepared to experiment, you could try the following:

1. Download an empty navdata from http://www.tarbat.gofreeserve.com/image/emptynav.zip
     (Cut and paste the link into your browser)

2. Backup your navdata.db3 file

3. Put the downloaded empty navdata into your Radarbox data folder to replace the current one

See if that fixed the high CPU in MyLog problem.  No guarantees, but it might.  Obviously any updates you've made to navdata will be lost, but you can always revert to the backup if you need to.

Might help until this bug can be fully fixed.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:18:27 PM by tarbat »

shouriken

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 10:35:58 PM »
And do not run "Start update" from "Database explorer/Database updates"
Liviu
A.net JetPhotos.Net
RadarBox
2xRTL USB + Franklin+Collinear antenna + PlanePlotter

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 10:38:45 PM »
Correct.  Stick with an empty aircraft table in Navdata, it will gradually get populated with aircraft you receive anyway.

Netcop

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 03:14:58 PM »
Quote from Runway 31

Graham,

Where the autoupdate on an aircraft is set to Y if you pick up that aircraft with you box and the local Navdata is different to the server data, the local Navdata will sync with the server contents.  If however you have the aircraft set to N as you have amended some part of the data on your local database and also have unticked Auto Update Manually Changed Records in Preferences/Radarbox, when the aircraft is picked up the sync with the server will not be carried out.

Hi Alan,

Could you please clarify one thing for me.

My best understanding is that AutoPoрulate function in V.3.13/4.03 is working in a different way. If I pick up aircraft with my box,  AutoPoрulate function just adds a new entry to a database if this aircraft is new (entry with specific Mode-S address is not exist in database). If entry with specific Mode-S address already exists,  AutoPoрulate doesn't attempt to overwrite current entry with server one, basically didn’t do anything in this case. I was perfectly fine with this way.

But as far as I understand any entry without N in autoupdate field in v5 will be overwritten with the server data (including PTTN fields) if my local data is different from the server data if I keep AutoPoрulate function in Preferences/Radarbox "on" if I pick up these aircrafts with my box . Is that correct?

Regards,
Nick

Greetings from Russia, Moscow
20.54 nm NWN of UUDD

SW: ANRB v 3.13/ANRB v 4.03 3D, XP SP3
HW: SkyCentre Quad Core PC for 24/7 operation
Antenna: outside SSE 1090SJ mk2
Amp: Wimo AS-1090
Cable: Draka NK Cables RFF 1/2'-50
RadarBox24 station: Netcop

Runway 31

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 08:22:21 PM »
That is correct Nick, if you dont tell the routine not to autopopulate an aircraft, it will do so.  Default is to sync with the database so to prevent this happening you require to instruct it not to sync.

Alan

John Racars

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 09:22:17 AM »
Quote from: tarbat
Autoupdate happens in real-time as aircraft are received in your MyFlights list

Goodmorning Tarbat.

What is /are my MyFlight list?

If I click "MyFlights" under Tools or pressing F9 nothing happens.

Thank you in advance for your reaction.
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 10:33:03 AM »
What is /are my MyFlight list?
Highlighted in RED in this screenshot.

John Racars

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 10:46:13 AM »
Thank you!

But what is the function of the "MyFlight" button or pressing F9?
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 11:20:14 AM »
But what is the function of the "MyFlight" button or pressing F9?
To select the MyFlights tab.