AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New AirNav RadarBox 5.00 Beta Software Released and Avaiable for Download  (Read 27070 times)

Runway 31

Re: New AirNav RadarBox 5.00 Beta Software Released and Avaiable for Download
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 09:42:52 AM »
Graham,

There is no intention of unecrypting the database to make its contents it available for other utilitties.

Alan

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2013, 10:48:51 AM »
Quote from: GreekSpy2001
I use the NavData Editing Tool each time there is a db update to transfer mil hexcodes into JSTARS.

Graham, note that db updates will only be made available from within v5 going forward, so unless you update to v5 you won't get any more bulk db updates anyway.

I guess you could try using one of the other freely available databases to extract mil hexcodes, such as the basestation.sqb available at http://pp-sqb.mantma.co.uk/
Currently has about 115,000 aircraft records, but take note of the copyright restrictions.

You can then still have the benefits of Radarbox v5 and extract mil hexcodes from the basestation.sqb database.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:09:56 AM by tarbat »

Bell 407

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 11:15:24 AM »
As one of the authors of the NavData DB3 Editing Tool I find this quite sad that AirNav will only be supplying encrypted NavData.db3 update files. Sad in the sense that there are many users out there who have given serious time and effort to developing various tools that allow ALL OF US to enjoy this hobby even more.

I will discuss this issue with the other author of the software about the encryption issue and get back to all about a way forward. Hopefully something can be resolved.

If we can not resolve the issue then AirNav should seriously look at developing a proprietry tool that the average user of RB can easily use and understand in order to update and edit their db3 files. That is why we believe the Editing Tool we developed enjoyed great acceptance as it allowed so many user to edit in the friendly environment of MS Excel.

Regards,

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2013, 02:44:12 PM »
Quote from: romdouk
I will continue to get my weekly Aircraft Database updates via ADU Software and it's AirNav/SBS Utility and edit accordingly using the NavData Editing Tool.
Don't know if this will help, but if you can get the data into basestation.sqb format, you can still use the Populate/Import button in Database Explorer to import your data into Radarbox v5.

Also note that you can startup Radarbox v5 with an unencrypted navdata.db3 file, so if that's what you can create using the Navdata Editing Tool, you can still startup v5 with that database.  Obviously it will be encrypted once used in v5.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:50:48 PM by tarbat »

Runway 31

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2013, 03:40:53 PM »
I would have thought that all that would be necessary to do was to create two copies, keep one and enter the other into the system.  Then when you are ready to update use the one you kept make the necessary changes using the editing tool, make two copies as before, keep one and use the other each time.

Alan

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2013, 03:50:27 PM »
Terry, does ADU provide better quality aircraft data than AirNav?  I also emptied out the aircraft and routes tables, and rely on the autopopulate process in v5 to populate with aircraft and routes relevant to my local area.

CYYZGUY

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »
As a side note.....Startup is now wickedly fast after the upgrade.  At least for me it is...

I have 16 Gigs ram and no swap file......

Cheers,

Jason
2 Nm North from Canada's Busiest Airport CYYZ

DPD 1090 Mhz Antenna with LMR-400 Cable
Antenna 35 Feet (11 Meters) standing tall
Dedicated Airnav Station with 16 Gigs ram
Dedicated Radarbox24 Station with 16 Gigs ram
40" LED Monitor
40" LED Monitor
BCD996XT, BCT15X, BCT15X, BCT15 and BCD436 receiver

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »
I read Tarbat's comment that database updates will only be available from within V5 going forward..................

Whilst I can understand the logic behind this move, can we please make sure that before we move to such a scenario, AirNav at least sort out the Windows 8 drivers issue?

I'm having nightmares at the moment using the software on "8", but think it unfair that long standing customers are denied access to an updated database purely because at the moment they haven't taken the plunge to move to V5.

Until issues such as the drivers are sorted out, I don't think it's worth the effort moving, especially given the reported issues with "8" om the forum

Runway 31

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2013, 10:37:27 PM »
The Windows 8 drivers are with Microsoft for certification and will be available in around a fortnight

Alan

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2013, 12:37:45 AM »
I do hope that until version 5 moves on from Beta status to a full release, there will still be normal database update releases.

There are many very sensible users who won't touch a Beta.

Rod
Rod

bratters

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »
Quote Rod above....

"I do hope that until version 5 moves on from Beta status to a full release, there will still be normal database update releases."

Not only will there be a number of "fence-sitters" such as myself but there are sure to be large numbers of users who don't follow the forum and could therefore suddenly find themselves without a data stream.

A quick and succinct answer to this is required.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
Quote from: bratters
....... there are sure to be large numbers of users who don't follow the forum and could therefore suddenly find themselves without a data stream.
If someone doesn't follow the forum, they're unlikely to be expecting the monthly database download.  Autopopulate of aircraft and routes still operates within Radarbox, and in v5 you can get a daily download of the database within the program.

Hopefully we'll be able to move on from beta to full release within a reasonable time, but if not, I'm sure Airnav will consider the release of a monthly database update as before until we're out of beta.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:27:27 AM by tarbat »

Runway 31

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2013, 01:13:03 PM »
I am sure that anyone who doesnt follow the forum and looses their data stream will come onto the forum to find out why.

Alan

bratters

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2013, 06:13:59 PM »
So please what is the answer to the original question which is : if I choose not to update to 5.0 beta will I still be able to continue as before in terms of obtaining routes, photos etc.?

bratters

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2013, 06:16:37 PM »
Additional to above.......

continue as before without either subscribing to the network or data sharing.