anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radarbox range reduced/reducing  (Read 2748 times)

knight01

Radarbox range reduced/reducing
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:28:31 AM »
My radarbox has started to experience reduced range of only 20-30 mile recently and aircraft count has also dropped to between 60-80.  I live very close to Heathrow and I was/been getting 140+ miles range and aircraft count of 170+ at all times during summer months with a aerial in the loft, reducing in the Winter months as expected. 

The strange problem is, if I disconnect the aerial wire and reconnect, the aircraft count and range goes up for few minutes, then reduces again.  This has been happening on and off since last year (Jul. 2012).  I purchased a new SMA to Ntype pigtail cable from Westlake and still same problem.

I contacted Airnav last year about the same problem, when range reduced to less than 15 miles and was told if SAW filter is faulty they will repair/replace the SAW filter regardless of age of the radarbox, but if it turns out it's static damage, there will be a charge. As my antenna is mounted in the loft and the box has never left my desk, I don't know if static can damage the box.   I didn't send it, as I didn't want them to say it's static damage and given a unexpected bill.

Now the problem is getting worse and I don't know if I should send it to get it fixed or should just pack up the box.

I don't know if its the SAW filter dying or the SMA connector on the box has developed a fault. I've checked the antenna in the loft, the connection seems fine.  Anything else I can check.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:32:34 AM by knight01 »

Runway 31

Re: Radarbox range reduced/reducing
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:31:37 AM »
Maybe try it with the supplied antenna making sure it can see a good bit of sky.  You should get a good range with the supplied antenna and if its OK you know its not the box and vice-versa.

With the conditions you mention and the antenna in the attic I dont think static will be a problem but I am no expert on the subject.

Alan
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:36:27 AM by Runway 31 »

Brian L

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »
I had the same problem. I thought the aerial was suspect so bought a new one. Problem solved! Took the old aerial to a repair shop and they found a short in the connector on the end of the aerial cable. It couldn't be fixed!
Hope this helps.
Brian

knight01

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 05:19:59 PM »
I tried the supplied indoor antenna and still get the same outcome - after initially connecting the supplied indoor antenna, the coverage is very low. If I move the radarbox a bit or touch the antenna socket but not moving the antenna, the coverage increases then reduces again few seconds later.  Could be a short or connection problem on the radarbox SMA port, I'm hoping it's not.

I have a Watson Radar-Rama antenna, I'll swap my existing RADAR-100 COLLINEAR Antenna that is in the loft with the Watson antenna and check the outcome.

Runway 31

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 05:22:22 PM »
I think you have found the problem, I wouldnt think a repair would be very costly.  Give W&S  a call.

Alan