anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ADS-B  (Read 3135 times)

Deadcalm

ADS-B
« on: April 11, 2008, 12:45:59 PM »
I'm intrigued.  Just watching a Ryanair which is clearly "wearing the wrong clothes".
The display says it's RYR9647, EPKK-EGGP, when in reality it's RYR 98RF EGGP-LFBL.

Now, I'm aware of the possibilty of crew not entering the correct information... but I was under the impression that ADS-B was always on, and required no aircrew intervention.  This being the case, into what would the crew input the correct details for the flight?  In view of the importance of ADS-B information, how come it's that open to crew input errors?  I know from experience that a wrong SSR Mode C code input would be immediately spotted by a controller, so who (or what) monitors the ADS-B information for erroneous data?

If it's that easy to masquerade as someone else, it rather seems to defeat at least part of the reason for ADS-B in the first place.

Anyone (who knows) able to enlighten me?

DC
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 12:52:22 PM by Deadcalm »
Go around, I say again go around...

asecna

Re: ADS-B
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 01:39:20 PM »
In the best case, this kind of info is inputted in the Flight Management System by the aircrew but often directly uploaded from the airline database
It may still be not  clearly stated in the pilot checklist to verify the data inserted as no ATC has required ADS-B usage  yet (for this you need a detailed operation concept and safety case). Then depending on the avionics implementation, it may even be impossible for the aircrew to visualize or modify these data fields. I know It appears incredible but as long as the certification office does not require it it is not forbidden and if it costs less... Air ground integration is just beginning..

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 04:20:02 PM »
I'd say that the pilot's name is Ray - a wild guess I know.  I'd say that you can put anything you like into the Mode S transponder Flight ID field.

davis

• RANGE
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 04:43:34 PM »
I confirm that many times the  RYR flight , left  to return the same parameters to way.
depends on the crew humor et time to change parameters.....
I once read  ----byebye---
Gpe many times is  wrong . and a specific 320  of AIRONE ,  always lands  3 Nm west of the field..Always the same plane.
One day eill  talking to the commander  , and say that GPS his failure ...Who buy a new..ha..ha..ha..
The R / B in these cases is perfect, because that translates  What she receives...
 Gianni
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 04:54:37 PM by davis »