AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Recording Delayed due to security reason?  (Read 3567 times)

CZUL

Recording Delayed due to security reason?
« on: April 10, 2008, 01:08:09 AM »
What is this all about?

paul

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Recording Delayed due to security reason?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 07:29:54 AM »
The data saved to file, is 5 minutes delayed. This is a security measure put in place to stop people getting access to the live feed.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Wayne

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 12:48:57 PM »
Hi

Is this a RadarBox security thing or server volume thing or a Govt/National thing. I don't really understand the difference between me being able to pick up live traffic using my own RB but not being able to see other users traffic in real time ? What implications are there in having a live feed ?

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »
Wayne,

There is loads of discussion about this, particularly on the Kinetic SBS-1 forum where the subject has been done to death!

When the first Mode S receiver appeared around 2 years ago, there was a newspaper "scare story" that said all Mode S receivers should be banned, unless used for "official" purposes.  Kinetic failed to produce their version of Network data, even though this was promised when their box was first produced.  When AirNav rolled out their 5 minute delayed Network system, more "scare stories" were put out (mostly by Kinetic) which said that the AirNav network wasn't legal and that it would soon be shut down by "official agencies" - although it was never actually said just who this was supposed to be!

It has long been accepted internationally, that 5 minute delayed aircraft data does not represent any security threat and there are a number of different providers which supply such delayed data.  This is the way it is I'm afraid, and it's unlikely to change.  Don't try applying logic to the argument about live data received by individuals and 5 minute delayed network data - you will just get frustrated :-0

See the link below regarding the newspaper article:

http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2252&highlight=newspaper
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 01:57:29 PM by Allocator »

Wayne

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 02:09:28 PM »
Thanks for that. I never knew the history of it and RB is my first venture into this kind of thing. See what you mean about the logic but then again how illogical are the rules surrounding some aircraft spotting facilities these days !

Wayne