AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radarbox don't autopopulate aicraft data anymore  (Read 17287 times)

Runway 31

Re: Radarbox don't autopopulate aicraft data anymore
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 09:34:38 PM »
Enjoy Andre

M

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 02:22:40 AM »
I notice that last 5 days or so RB don't autopopulate aircraft data - I did put some new aircraft manualy as RB fail to do so.Is there any solution for this problem - I have turned on the autopopulate buttons and PC is all time connected to the internet.I didn't upgrade PC system or anything like.
Autopopulate does't work anymore if you have turned off data sharing. That was changed last week. Work never stops at AirNav Systems. :)

ANDREJ767

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 04:12:47 AM »
Thanks - that explains all.

bratters

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 10:09:31 AM »
"Autopopulate does't work anymore if you have turned off data sharing. That was changed last week. Work never stops at AirNav Systems. :)"    Quoted from M

Is this true and confirmed by Airnav themsleves?

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 10:36:41 AM »
This is the sort of thing that AirNav themselves should announce, preferably with an explanation.

Rod
Rod

knight01

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 10:45:43 AM »
Routes Autopopulate not working either. Just tried with sharing off and route not picked via autopopulate on one aircraft/routing I was monitoring, turned sharing on and within few seconds route for the aircraft I was monitoring is populated automatically.

Tried this multiple times by deleting route on same and different aircraft.

bratters

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 11:00:18 AM »
I don't think I quite follow this.

If sharing is illegal in my countryand therefore switched off, are we saying I can no longer get autopopulate?

Runway 31

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 11:02:59 AM »
Isnt autopopulate sharing?

bratters

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 11:36:55 AM »
The publishing of information not legally obtained is illegal therefore the choice is for an individual to do so or not. Airnav acknowledged this choice on the original software with "share" tickbox.

There was no quid pro quo on the lines of "if you don't share you don't get another function".   It was all part of the deal and what you paid your £400 for.

You can't suddenly turn round after after a few years and say sorry, we taking that service away - it's bought and paid for. It's a contract.

Runway 31

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 11:59:59 AM »
I was responding to your first statement and if sharing is switched off you would never had been able to get autopopulate in the first place but that doesnt mean that you cannot get the data as there are other ways such as downloading the Navdata or adding manually.

I have no argument against your second and third paragraphs but would like to know how you can state that the data was not legally obtained.   It is illegal in some countries for individuals to share the data a fact acknowledged by Airnav with the choice of the tick box, not to download it in the first place nor to use it without sharing.  Sharing in this context means broadcasting for others to see not for own personal use.

Alan
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:03:10 PM by Runway 31 »

ANDREJ767

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 12:44:15 PM »
It was something with the software because I was able to follow all local traffic as before and when some "new" Boeing or Airbus flied around I was only able to read its Mode-S code,flight ID & altitude + its position on the map.As I know these modern jets are almost all serial equiped to send also its registration No. at least.

knight01

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 01:37:40 PM »
I always have sharing turned off and has been for last few years. As far as I've noticed, Autopopulate has always worked, even with sharing off. 
Only in the last week or two I've noticed my local Navdata file not populating with routes or aircraft.  I put this down to the server problems and continued as normal until I noticed his thread.

I think Airnav should make an official announcement.

Airnavs' ADSB receivers comparison chart:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/Radarbox/whybuyradarbox.html

From this list 2 features can now be classed as false advertising and misleading:
Continuous Software Updates
Auto-population of aircraft and route details.

Picture is attached as proof.

ANDREJ767

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 01:48:49 PM »
Thanks.

bratters

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Runway31   Quote........"Sharing in this context means broadcasting for others to see not for own personal use"

(Can't they fix this damn quote function?)

Several years ago I was in touch with Ofcom on this subject (in a different context) and here is a precis of the relevant act as applies to our hobby.....

Quote "Under Section 5(1)(b) of the WT Act 1949 it is an offence if a person "otherwise than under the authority of a designated person,

either:

(i) uses any wireless telegraphy apparatus with intent to obtain information as to the contents, sender or addressee of any message whether sent by means of wireless telegraphy or not, of which neither the person using the apparatus nor a person on whose behalf he is acting is an intended recipient;

This means that it is illegal to listen to anything other than general reception transmissions unless you are either a licensed user of the frequencies in question or have been specifically authorised to do so by a designated person. A designated person means:

the Secretary of State;
the Commissioners of Customs and Excise; or
any other person designated for the purpose by regulations made by the Secretary of State.
or:

(ii) except in the course of legal proceedings or for the purpose of any report thereof, discloses any information as to the contents, sender or addressee of any such message, being information which would not have come to his knowledge but for the use of wireless telegraphy apparatus by him or by another person."

This means that it is also illegal to tell a third party what you have heard." Unquote

It's specific and, whilst eyes are often closed, the act is there to be used if needed - as it has been in cases of re-broadcasting of live ATC.

But this is all secondary to the question of why is Airnav giving its customers a hard time, if not in fact a raw deal?

Runway 31

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 08:06:02 PM »
i.e., while it is not illegal to sell or purchase an airband radio it is illegal to use them