anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airnav..where do we currently stand with updates to Radarbox?  (Read 41014 times)

Runway 31

Re: Airnav..where do we currently stand with updates to Radarbox?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 11:28:26 AM »
Agreed Tarbat as I have stated there was no way the last Beta, the one I looked at, could have been released to the public and no number of testers would have made any difference.

Alan

orkney

• Database Updater Moderator
    • orkney radarbox screenshot
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »
Hello

I did beta testing on shiptrax and I was always being told I would get a new radarbox version to test.  This has unsurprisingly never come. I would still like to test it but I do not know why it has taken so long to get nowhere.

It is very annoying having the same errors and annoyances as we did when we purchased the system in 2009.

Andrew

bratters

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2013, 04:27:45 PM »
Speaking as the average joe soap long term box owner, I am pleased to read some honest critical contributions from those who many of us have long regarded as "company men".

For years now we have been in the great debt to the "tarbats orkneys runways etc" of this world who have laboured mightily to keep our boxes up to date. On the occasions when exasperation and irritation with the endless delays and prevarication bubbled to the surface, critcism of Airnav so often came out as critcism of the very people who were keeping the show afloat.

It was not meant to sound like that and it was never intended to be that way.  However there is notdoubt that a them & us culture was arising. Those who were in the know and could do things were on the one side and those who were in the dark and pretty feeble with computers were on the other.

I sense for the first time that we are all in the same boat and hopefully all pulling in the same direction.

Things are not looking good hereabouts.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 04:55:34 PM »
RodBearden said "Perhaps if a few more testers had been involved, progress would have been better."

Rod, the number of testers isn't the problem.  I always provided fast turnaround on testing, with comprehensive feedback on faults found, things fixed, suggestions, etc.  I must have put in hundreds of hours to testing of AirNav products, both hardware and software.  Many hours spent testing a new version that didn't even deliver the fix it was meant to, and also broke something else that previously worked.

I've been a testing manager in the past (UAT, Regression, etc.), but nothing like testing AirNav products.  My experience of Airnav beta testing is endless frustration as you wait for the developer to become available again to work on something you gave feedback on weeks ago.

The solution isn't to have more testers.  The solution is more developers, or at least developers who have the time to work on the software rather than doing their other job.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 05:08:21 PM »
We understand that some users and testers are frustrated because of the apparent lack of development.
Anyway work continues on our side on V404 and several other systems. More news to follow.

dxman

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 10:52:50 PM »
not some users , most users!!!

Henning

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2013, 12:38:25 AM »
"More news to follow."
Always the same bla bla for years!!! I don't want news, I want a new version. Because the news is always that there are new problems or that there will be more news to follow.

Does your "more news" function look like this, AirNav?
function MoreNews(){
  print("Work continues. You can expect exciting things to come. More news to follow...")
  sleep(1month)
  call MoreNews()
}

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2013, 02:36:58 AM »
Hi Henning. We understand your frustration.
PS: Your MoreNews procedure looks great. :-)

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 11:29:59 AM »
Tarbat

What I meant by my comment is that before a public release, a wide range of conditions needs to be tested - north/south/on the equator, different operating systems, in view of ground operations etc.

If we are still at the stage where one or two testers are finding significant bugs, then we are further away from a public release that I had hoped.

Rod
Rod

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 08:01:52 PM »
If we are still at the stage where one or two testers are finding significant bugs, then we are further away from a public release that I had hoped.

That can't possibly be right Rod, last September/October time it was within a few days of being released...............?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

bratters

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 07:30:49 AM »
Tarbat quote...

"The solution is more developers, or at least developers who have the time to work on the software rather than doing their other job."

Airnav reply quote.....

"Anyway work continues on our side on V404 and several other systems."

I rest my case M'lord.

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »
Don't honestly think I've every experienced such a shambolic lack of progress with a product with so much potential.

I've had my box for over four years now, and other than the "novelty" of 3D, which if I'm honest does nothing for me, have seen virtually nothing that has made me sit up and take notice.

It's like a broken record on here, and I'm sure this post will probably provoke another "We understand your frustration, but you won't believe what's on the verge of being released" from AirNav..........................

I'm sat with my "box" on as I type this.......................Just noticed a RAF Tristar appear in MyFlights, a type no doubt sadly due to reach retirement very soon..................I honestly expect the Dreamliner to be retired before we get any developments released.

It's simply unacceptable.

Chris11

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 02:44:05 PM »
+1

SteveJ

Airnav..where do we currently stand with updates to Radarbox?
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 04:46:39 PM »
You have to wonder how many programmers are actually on staff?

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
I'd guess around somewhere fewer than 1