anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Repair Supplied Antenna  (Read 2149 times)

Northern Watch

Repair Supplied Antenna
« on: March 28, 2013, 01:47:08 PM »
I have just noticed that my range has dropped significantly and have found the cable in to the base of the supplied antenna has disconnected.  Looking inside it looks like a simple solder job but can someone confirm it is and where does the outer cable connect,

Thanks for any help.

Regards

NW

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
Re: Repair Supplied Antenna
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 08:13:18 PM »
Hi NW, centre core to antenna element, the screen should be soldered to the can into which the magnet fits, on mine i levered it out of the plastic base, scraped it to get good contact.   Although it's not intended as a permanent outdoor aerial, if you thoroughly lag the base with silicone grease (or sealer if you prefer) and then replace magnet and plastic film, you can make it virtually waterproof.   If any damp has got into the cable, you'll need to cut it back until you've got clean shiny copper before resoldering.   I did a fuller reply to this some years ago, if I can find it (if it's not got lost or deleted over time) I'll post a link.   HTH.   Jon

Here's the link
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.msg60676#msg60676
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:16:41 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Northern Watch

Re: Repair Supplied Antenna
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 09:04:36 PM »
Hi CoastGuardJon

Thank you for your quick reply.  It all makes sense now you have explained it.  Will give it a try tomorrow in day light.  Just in case I have ordered a new one as it proves that a backup is handy as I often travel with mine.

Once again thank you

Regards

Keith