AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Use on an Aircraft?  (Read 4626 times)

theskyfox

Use on an Aircraft?
« on: March 15, 2013, 01:52:04 PM »
Hi All,
         Was recently on a Flight back from Finland. Whilst using my laptop during the flight, it occured to me that in theory at least it would be possible to take an airnav radarbox in your hand luggage and give it a go in the flight. Has anyone ever done this on a commercial flight? I'm guessing that you would probably want an attenuator fitted on your antenna to avoid overloading the box from the ADS transponder on your aircraft, and I'm guessing it could be a bit awkward getting it through airport security...but if it was at all possible I'd imagine the view around you could be pretty impressive...

-Andrew

Runway 31

Re: Use on an Aircraft?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 03:13:56 PM »
Its no problem taking it through security an then on board I have done it many times with no problems all over the world.  However I dont think that they they would allow its use as normally they only allow computers, phones etc if they are in flight mode not being able to receive anything as it could interfere with the onboard electronics with dire consequences.

Alan

dl1812

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 03:49:47 PM »
Plus, would the Box be able to locate you when you are moving at 500mph or whatever ?

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 03:52:39 PM »
Would any signals get through the fuselage as the antenna really needs to be outside

Alan

theskyfox

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 03:57:42 PM »
Hmm. Few thoughts...

1. Would be interesting to see if there have been any cases of interference to aircraft. If it is an issue, surely this would be just as much as problem as someone sitting next to an airport with one? (Mobile phones/electronics etc are known not to be a real-world hazard to aircraft, the truth is that they want your attention during a flight. Lufthansa/Emirates are examples of airlines where you *Are* permitted to use your phone in flight).

2. I dont see why the box wouldnt be able to locate "you"? Unless you are referring to GPS? I've used my Phones GPS in flight before to get a speed reading and its worked fine, and additionally most aircraft that we pick up on airnav are already flying at speeds in excess of 270kts...

Runway 31

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 04:19:52 PM »
Its the same in hospitals , no mobile phones in case it effects equipment, whether it does or not is a moot point but in aircraft as in hospitals if it is not allowed I wouldnt go against the instructions given by the crew.  Listen out next time you arrive at your destination and note how many phones are being used as soon as the aircraft touches the tarmac.

Aircraft have antennas positioned outside the aircraft to allow transmission and reception of signals whereas your equipment would be inside with no external antenna.

Ask the airline before hand or the crew on the aircraft to see if they allow the use of the equipment and if so try and see, thats about the only way you will know for certain whether you will get reception.

Alan

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 04:29:44 PM »
Well, we can tell you we have seen cases where RB has been run with a laptop on the flightdeck of the aircraft when across the Atlantic and it has picked up other aircraft crossing the ocean as well as the aircraft its flying on :)

It is possible, however just take caution regarding security and not using it during the phases of flight that the crew request you to switch off devices.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:31:33 PM by AirNav Support »
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

theskyfox

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
Airnav: Sounds great. When used on the flight deck, was it just used in the standard "out of the box" setup, or was an attenuator used? or even an external antenna?

-Andrew

Runway 31

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 04:39:53 PM »
While the Captain or First officer used it up the pointy end, would the company policy allow the SLF up the back to do likewise?  More likely a case of dont do as I do, do as I say!!

I wouldnt use the line, Airnav say it works OK either on that crabby flight attendant :-))

Alan
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:42:26 PM by Runway 31 »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 04:44:51 PM »
Out of the box, nothing was added on. As we say though be very cautious if your going to use in the cabin.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 12:44:53 PM »
I've tried using a scanner on a number of occasions in the passenger sections and found hardly anything, I assumed the window glass was treated against the sun's rays and prevented the signals getting through?  Is the glass treated.   AN, what sort of range was achieved from the flight deck?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

fossie1

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 02:28:31 PM »
There was a video on You Tube of this being done. But I cant find it now.

My position is 16 miles north of EGAA Belfast international Airport (Aldergrove)