AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Remember this?  (Read 21174 times)

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
Re: Remember this?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 10:05:28 PM »
AirNav

Your stance is little short of insulting in my opinion.

How on earth can you continue to post comments mentioning "how important it is to keep customers"?? To invoke such discord from your longest serving supporters when you consider the effort and innovation they have provided is unforgivable.

Continual ignorance of your existing , albeit undoubtedly not for long, customer base is a catastrophic way to conduct any sort of commercial venture.

As forum members have suggested, you seem blind to the impact that a boycott of sharing their feeds would have on your much maligned priority of developments in other areas that we don't want.

I also no longer share. Big deal maybe, but if your mentality continues, I suspect others will do likewise?

I'm sick of defending your product, and recommending it to my fellow enthusiasts also.

Good luck with you future ventures. You're certainly going to need it.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 02:32:08 AM »
One more time we will post our current position on this issue, as stated on a previous message:
"RadarBox 4.04 is 70% finished but we had to suspend work because of the server problems we had in Dec/Jan. Fortunately everything is stable with the server now and we plan to continue to work again on this now."

Lou

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 08:51:34 AM »
Hi AirNav, remember me ? i`ve been waiting thirteen months for you to sort out my ShipTrax problem. :(

Col

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 09:53:44 AM »
AirNav

I get the fact that there have been a number of issues with the server which has delayed the bug fixes (and any other improvement to the RB product). What I find very difficult to understand is the tone of your responses to Tarbat and others that have done so much to support you and the products. The amount of time and dedication that has been shown by these individuals must be a huge benefit to your company but I find that your responses to these people is insulting in the least.

If you lose the goodwill of the individuals that do so much to support you then you have lost completely. It is not just the beta testers but also the team that update the databases, Rod doing the logos, etc that have provided so much to the RB users and given your product an edge. I would have thought that treating them with a little respect is the least that you could do.

My RB is on every day but I do not have much time to devote to the hobby. I am also no expert which is why I have had little to contribute to this forum so I could understand why someone like me is of little importance to you as a company (even though I share all my data and have always done so) but the people who take their own time to help make your product better should be high up on your list of priorities. You should keep them well informed of developments and if you are concerned about details leaking then you could get them to sign NDA's (non-disclosure agreements) which are commonly used in the software world.

Rant over

Colin
Regards

Colin
Wokingham, Berkshire

knight01

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »
Col, you've hit the nail on the head.  A company should never take advantage and insult its user base.  You don't see Apple or even a small company doing this when development is delayed.
I'm speaking from experience I had with Microsoft and Apple.  I had purchased Flight simulator X and when it failed to install on my system, I contacted Microsoft directly and surprisingly a manager answered the phone and he bent over backwards to help me for a product worth only £40.  He sent me a brand new FSX and said if I had any trouble to contact him on his direct extension at Microsoft.
Same with Apple, I had issues with my Mac Mini and put my thoughts on their forum.  Within a day I got a phone call from their Ireland based senior tech support.  I was surprised how these huge multinational companies take care of their users.
These companies know they are nothing without their loyal users/customers.
Our hobby is a small world and word gets around quite quickly.

EK01

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 03:17:51 PM »
Pretty obvious AN don't care who no longer subscribes to the product or who does or doesn't share data. After all, they are continually giving away boxes for free to make up the numbers of those users going elsewhere (many of them long-standing users and beneficial to them) !

Now it's the USA that's being targeted !

I suppose it's one way of getting rid of an obsolete product.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 10:27:12 PM »
So, now we're being told that the new software is 90% completed - but, it feels as though we're no closer than we were 11th August 2012 - over 6 moths ago - http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=7103.msg82951#msg82951 - I still put the RB on because I can't afford to get an SBS3 or another unit.

What started off as a real innovation is, now, just suitable for use as the proverbial 'door-stop'.

When you start censoring one of your most loyal and valued supporters (and certainly one of several that have kept your product alive and kicking, when it would otherwise have gone down the pan) says it all.   The product is dead to all intents and purposes, and no-one belives your downright lies, or gives any credence anymore to your broken and undelivered promises.  It's all very sad and we, your customers, have been kicked in the teeth once too often.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:29:13 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

airdata

• Airdata
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 04:24:02 AM »
I have had my radarbox since 2008 and data has been shared until yesterday.

What I find hard to accept is that so many bugs have been known about for years and these appear to be at the bottom of Airnav list of priorities as Airnav did the collaboration with Japan Airlines and more recently Radarbox 24, and then of course, not to mention Shiptrax.  I am starting to wonder if the software development team is actually a team or just one person.  I cannot see how it has taken in excess of 2 years for bugs to be fixed.

In protest at the endless delays, my data sharing is off until a new version is released.
Under the flight path, 5NM from runway 23L threshold at Auckland (NZAA), New Zealand.

RNAGG

• Aerococus
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 11:29:56 AM »
I'll also stop sharing data until the new vesão available.

shouriken

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 05:16:47 PM »
"RadarBox 4.04 is 70% finished but we had to suspend work because of the server problems we had in Dec/Jan.
AirNav Development, does the bolded text mean that you are using the same team to solve the server problems and for software development?

Liviu
Liviu
A.net JetPhotos.Net
RadarBox
2xRTL USB + Franklin+Collinear antenna + PlanePlotter

Runway 31

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »
I have been reading the thread and wondering whether to put my head above the parapet or not.  The reason for my hesitation is that I dont hold the same views as the forum members who have being doing the posting and have been called an number of things in the past for doing so, however I have decided to put myself in the firing line by having my say.

I got my box in the first place because I wanted to know what that aircraft was trailing in the sky and where it was going etc.  I also live under the flight paths of a number airports and similarly I  wanted to know details of the aircraft flying overhead.  After some research I chose the Radarbox and was and still am happy with what I got.

I realised quickly however that there were problems with the database which required me to update my data to ensure that I continued to know the details of the aircraft I was seeing.  I then became one of the updaters as this ensured that not only was my d/b getting better so was everyone elses.  Some may see this as not the way it should be done and that Airnav should be resourcing this updating but I am more than happy with doing it and I would suspect that others doing similar work are of the same mind or else they wouldnt do it.  I am aware that some may see this as Airnav taking advantage of me but I dont but am also aware that without our efforts the product may have outlived its usefulness to me and yourselves. 

Yes there are bugs and yes these should have been sorted a long time ago and the lack of focus in this area is horrendous and I wouldnt even begin to offer any explanation or understanding for it.   I can understand peoples frustration on the lack of progress of the bug fix as I share those same frustrations.  However to state for example that the product is useless and nothing more than a door stop is in my opinion ridiculous as again in my opinion, even with the bugs it still does what it did when I got it in 2009, probably better in fact.

I am sure that Airnav will look back on some of their decision making and think that they could have done it better or better communicated their reasoning behind them.  Also that some of the decision taken were wrong or havent worked out the way they thought they would have or have been received the way they had hoped and I hope that they will learn from these and develop better communications with us their customers.

Reply 16 tells us that 4.04 is 70% finished, not 90 as mistakenly stated by John and while I acknowledge the problems and disruptions caused by the server outage, I feel that this could and should have been further advanced by the time of the server crash.  I have however received an email last night which advised that work is progressing and a further beta should be available in around a week and I hope this timescale is adhered too.

While I know that a new receiver is in the pipeline, I have not been given any details on it nor would I expect to and my limited knowledge of it is only from what I have picked up on here.  From what I have gleaned however I think it will have number of innovations which will impress, time will tell on that one though.  As has been stated the receiver market is very cut throat and competative and while not being disrespectful to Tarbat I can understand why Airnav gets a bit tecchy when its possible contents are discussed, although again that could have been handled more intelligently.

While some may hope for Airnavs demise I consider they have a bright future ahead but they will have to pick up their game in some areas to ensure it and to provide better focus on the areas which need it

I have my tin hat at the ready but while I may not hold the same opinion as yourself I respect your views and hope that you respect mine even if you do not share them.

Alan

prbflight

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 05:35:24 PM »
I turned my feed off 2 days ago... 

It will stay off until a software update comes out.  I've had enough.  I've been a loyal AirNav customer since I bought AirNav ACARS 2, and AirNav Suite software in 2003.  I can't believe I've hung around this long with all the false promises and waiting for software updates. 

AirNav stop giving out free boxes and give the people who bought your product, and feed your pockets free live access.  If that was the case you would get more people turning sharing back on.  Your coverage would be greater then giving out free boxes if the number of owners out there are as high as you report.  You can't go wrong.  Just a suggestion.

Paul@cyyb

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 11:16:14 PM »
Hi all and Alan, it's good to see you join in this thread.

As I've said many times in here, it's only thanks to dedicated volunteers like Chris, Andrew, Rod, yourself and several others (also in their time Dave Reid, Anmer and a couple of others) that the RB really took off and is still a viable and useful tool.   I would be happy with the ANRB, if what was promised originally had been delivered, without the undelivered (undeliverable?) promises of features and things to come.   The bugs should have been solved long before now.

You're quite right about my typo (I'll blame it on my age and glasses), and I quote

"Reply 16 tells us that 4.04 is 70% finished, not 90 as mistakenly stated by John and while I acknowledge the  problems and disruptions caused by the server outage, I feel that this could and should have been further advanced by the time of the server crash."

What I meant to say, is that we're now being told it's 70% completed, but last August/September time, I'm sure, (but can't find it quickly and haven't got the time, energy or interest to waste looking for the actual reference!) we were told by AN that 4.04 was 90% completed (at that time) and we could look forward to it being deivered in days or couple of weeks.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

bratters

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 08:57:06 AM »
Quote CoastGuardJon

"What I meant to say, is that we're now being told it's 70% completed, but last August/September time, I'm sure, (but can't find it quickly and haven't got the time, energy or interest to waste looking for the actual reference!) we were told by AN that 4.04 was 90% completed (at that time) and we could look forward to it being deivered in days or couple of weeks"

You know what - you're quite right mate. We're going backwards!! No wonder it's taking so long!!!

Alice in Bloomin' Wonderland.

johnboy

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 10:58:26 AM »
The problem is not that it's 70% completed, but how long is it going to be to complete the other 30%.

John.