anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RadarBox shuts down for no reason  (Read 8721 times)

ukpbz

RadarBox shuts down for no reason
« on: April 02, 2008, 07:16:04 PM »
Hi,

Took the RadarBox out for its first real use couple of days ago. New Laptop, plenty of memory, running of a voltage convertor so no power issues, nothing else running (worked out that turning the network update piece off got rid of the 3 second key response) and after 2 or 3 hours the program just shut down. No error message. I couldn't restart, I had to reboot machine. Then after another few hours it did it again.

I am using the latest version (1.5) of the program.

Is it faulty?

Thanks

Paul

ukpbz

Re: RadarBox shuts down for no reason
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 07:20:53 PM »
Sorry forgot to add...

Laptop is a Core 2 Duo 2.4 and running Vista Home Premium

Cheers

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 08:38:15 PM »
Check your power save settings and ensure usb devices do not go into power save mode as well. Also were you recording at the time?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

ukpbz

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 10:09:22 PM »
Hi,

I wasn't recording.

I will check USB power save settings but I doubt that as the mouse still worked.

Paul

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 02:48:35 PM »
The power saving settings have separate ones for power to screen and hibernation etc. Need to switch all of them off - or stop them powering down.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 04:01:52 PM »
Just got back from the Manchester (EGCC) aviation viewing park.  I ran RadarBox on the laptop until the battery ran out - about 2 hours.

Really, really good fun watching the aircraft on RadarBox and listening to ATC on the scanner.  RadarBox ran without any problems at all and the performance from the standard antenna on the car roof was very good - I was able to watch Liverpool (EGPP) inbounds down to 2000 ft as well!

ukpbz

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 10:41:11 PM »
Hi,

Mine went after 2 hours. I ran one of those car adaptors that meant battery didn't fail.

Paul

Allocator

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 07:56:20 AM »
Unfortunately, my car power adaptor shuts the power off after about 15 minutes and as it has a start button rather than an ignition key, you can't reset this timer without starting the engine!

I would either have to connect direct to the battery, or have a separate battery to run the laptop.

pcochrane12

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 06:54:27 AM »
allocator
I use a type of battery charger i found at halfords its a battery booster pack but has a 12v output socket on it use it to run all the kit on my fishing boat ie satnav depth sounder fish finder radio and even a kettle last 6-8 hrs take it home plug it in and recharge it in laws drive a outboard motor on the dingy only paid £30 quid for it similar product at tesco for £80
cheers paul

Allocator

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 08:22:41 AM »
Thanks Paul, I remember seeing one of these and wondering if it would work OK.  I'll take a look as it sounds ideal :-)

ukpbz

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 07:25:04 PM »
OK, Can find no mention of USB devices going into powersave mode in Vista. So I will take it that they are ok. I also wasn't recording.

So why did it shutdown :-( It was the application which shutdown not the laptop although I had to restart the laptop to get it to recognise the radarbox again

Thanks

ukpbz

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 08:16:24 AM »
HI,

I thought I saw another email talking about processing percentage.

So I took the box out twice over the weekend and it seemed to run well for 4 hours at a time. I monitored memory and cpu performance and it was averaging around 35% which is great. I had upto 250 aircraft showing.

Maybe the problem I had was a glitch.

Will let you know if anything happens but looking good

Paul

marcdeklerk

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 02:39:25 PM »
yip my Radarbox also shut down for no reason today.. however I had the Process Network flight checked and no internet connection was avaliable...

ukpbz

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 06:41:37 PM »
Hmmm, if I am honest I messed around with the network settings so maybe I caused a problem. I unchecked the network queries box but by that time it might have built up.

As I say, I had 2 days with it running 4 hours each with no problem