AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Will It work  (Read 3243 times)

Duncandx

Will It work
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:29:25 AM »
Hi to everyone and a happy new year from South Scotland
I recently retired and having bought an icom r8500 receiver and discone for listening to aircraft etc, which I am delighted to say can receive well over 100 miles which is great considering I live in a very hilly area.
Having looked at the radar box and toying with the idea of buying one to supplement my icom I am a little concerned it may not work at all that well.
Having tuned the icom to the 1090mHz frequency I do not hear any data bleep or the like, I have tried to view the data on an oscilloscope on my pc, but knowing nothing about oscilloscopes I am getting no where.
Can anyone out there give me some confidence if I purchase a radar box it will work fine.
I would as a matter of course install an outside antenna to improve reception
any help would be very much appreciated as I am not aware of anyone in my area that can help
thanks
Duncan
New Galloway
South Scotland

Runway 31

Re: Will It work
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:41:36 AM »
Hi Duncan,

Welcome.  It will work with no problems at all.  From New Galloway you will get grand coverage all over especially over the sea but you so you will get descent all round coverage.  Even with your supplied antenna you will get a good 150 miles but remember it work in line of site so requires to see the sky so an outside antenna is best but it is surprising what the supplied one can see from your window sill.

As it work in line of site, in a valley, hills trees, and high building etc can limit coverage but in your location it shouldnt be a problem

The stuff you will pick up there is at high level as there are no airports nearby so you will get most traffic going over.

There is no need to worry.

Alan
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:48:54 AM by Runway 31 »

Northern Watch

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:57:04 AM »
Hello Duncan

Welcome to the forum.  As Alan said, it works on line-of-sight and a good way to see what you will get is to go to this tread and check out the site using your home location, Lat/long and height above sea level is all you need, all information you can find on the internet.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=3335.msg31610#msg31610

Hope this helps.

Regards

Keith

2E0FLP

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »
Hi Duncan

You'll have to set receive mode to AM if you are going to hear anything.
I just monitored the signals on my Kenwood TH-F7 handheld. I do have an external 1090 MHz antenna for the Radarbox. Set the radio to 1090.000MHz in AM mode, the signal strengths are very low and don't even indicate on the signal strength meter, but I can hear a crackling/static type noise. Tune off 1090.000 and see if the signals (if any) get quieter.
 I also have a discone and tried the same test, the signals were a bit quieter but still there.

Of course, if you get a new box you will have a years worth of free access to the network data so you can monitor aircraft whether or not you are actually receiving that aircrafts signal direct.

Cheers

Paul

Duncandx

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 12:06:28 PM »
Hi
Many thanks to you all who replied to my first post, I have now talked myself in to getting a box, need to get a mast ext antenna etc for bet results so will have to break the news to the " Boss " wife very soon !!

I will post again once i am up and running.
regards
Duncan
New Galloway

vonsmalhausen

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »
so, the hardest part has still to come : the misses :-)
but trust me Duncan, once you get you're box and antenna set up, you won't regret it ;-)
and believe me, an outdoor antenna does makes a world of difference.

Duncandx

New User
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 03:10:03 PM »
Hi everyone
Well took the plunge and bought myself a radarbox pro, just got it up and running on my imac (running windows) and seems to be working.
I only have the supplied antenna at the moment as I am still waiting delivery of external ant.
Running the max range polar diagram at the moment to get an idea how far I am receiving
quick look shows down into the lake district and upwards towards Prestwick.
I have allot to learn so bare with me if I post rather obvious questions
thanks for now and look forward to chatting on this forum
regards
Duncan
New Galloway
South Scotland

Runway 31

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 03:14:28 PM »
Just ask Duncan and we will do our best to help

Alan

Team Spirit

• AF1981 A380-800 passing T5 enroute CDG.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 10:01:20 PM »
Keep us posted Duncan, be great to know how you're getting along.

Best wishes Dave, Devon.
Best regards Dave.