AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New AirNav RadarBox 5.00 Beta Software Released and Avaiable for Download  (Read 27074 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: New AirNav RadarBox 5.00 Beta Software Released and Avaiable for Download
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »
Quote from: bratters
So please what is the answer to the original question which is : if I choose not to update to 5.0 beta will I still be able to continue as before in terms of obtaining routes, photos etc.?
For the time being, yes.  Autopopulate, photos and routes continue to work in v4.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:42:20 PM by tarbat »

bratters

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »
"For the time being, yes."

You've been taking language lessons from Airnav Tarbat. :)

On a more serious note however, some might think that events have already overtaken this much delayed update, given how much radar info is now freely available in the public domain, including of course Mlat flights.

No hardware, no software, no computing skills and no subscriptions required. The world is moving rapidly on.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2013, 07:38:20 PM »
Quote from: bratters
You've been taking language lessons from Airnav
No, I'm just giving you the only answer I have at the moment.  As an unpaid beta tester, I don't have a crystal ball that can foresee the future.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 07:56:14 PM by tarbat »

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2013, 05:59:49 PM »
Hi Chris,
I, and I'm sure many others, are very glad you, Alan, Orkney and all the other updaters are still on board and doing what you can to help us (good that someone is!), but I believe Bratters' comment was very much tongue in cheek.   I know I've caused you totally unintended offence by making similar comments, but please keep on supporting us!   We are very grateful, although it might not come across that way!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

LSZS

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »
"Just an observation - now that the Navdata database in encrypted, the NavData Editing Tool is now unusable, which is a shame."

Indeed!!

Is there any plans to overcome this, eg giving option of disabling the encryption or NavData Editing Tool being able to decrypt?

Graham

Or an option that allow the export of the database.

The encryption of the database is the worst thing that you could do!!!!
There were other important bugs to solve before, (for example the crashing at remote connection)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:41:11 PM by LSZS »
Engadin Airport auf 1707m / 5600ft. Europas höchstgelegener Flughafen
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanobazzi/

Bell 407

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2013, 11:43:43 AM »
On the issue of encryption, maybe some comment from other users would be usefull. Why encrypt a database that is made up in a large portion by users around the world feeding data into a network managed by AirNav? Does AirNav feel that they are protecting the database as being their "own" proprietary information when in fact I suppose we all "own" the data to some degree as feeders and updaters?

In an age where sharing of information is an outward looking forward thinking attutude, AirNav, in my opinion, seem to be inward looking, limiting and self protective.

In the small group of users I interact with, sharing of information from database to database is common practice. Hence we all grow our own information systems by sharing. Most likely with encryption that will not be the case and so will tend to isolate users as individuals and make them not part of a collective and bigger group.

Anyway, just some thoughts.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:47:41 AM by Bell 407 »

vonsmalhausen

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2013, 05:30:37 PM »
not being able to use this great tool, that is the NavData.db3 Editing Tool, with V.5, is a major back drawn for me to.
I have some entries I always have to change in the DB after each update ; this tool enabled me to keep my "airlines" table as I wanted to.
it would have enabled me to adjust the DB in a matter of clicks to show the pics I really want, and setting the auto update to "N" in Excel ( or similar ) with no load of work as it has to be done now.
this encryption thing is for shure not a positive evolution.

LSZS

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2013, 02:10:08 PM »
An other example. Today some airlines changed their callsign.
At this time at the other season change day I updated some callsign of the flights landing in my region.
With the encryption I can't do this and we have the wrong information in the database... for days...
Engadin Airport auf 1707m / 5600ft. Europas höchstgelegener Flughafen
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanobazzi/

Runway 31

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »
You can still manually update the database although one by one, encryption doesnt stop this.  I will update the routes as soon as I can but if these are not forwarded to me they will take longer to add or change.

Alan