anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Black Boxes  (Read 10416 times)

southcoast

The Black Boxes
« on: December 11, 2012, 08:43:45 AM »
Hi, things seem to be ok with the beta version here, some good menus in the software....BUT...please do some thing with the Black Boxes that show the flight/plane information, make them transparent or something, they look amateurish and not pleasing on the eye to see them all over the screen. At the moment still using FR24. I look forward to them disappearing asap. Regards, Roger

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
Re: The Black Boxes
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
Hi, things seem to be ok with the beta version here, some good menus in the software....BUT...please do some thing with the Black Boxes that show the flight/plane information, make them transparent or something, they look amateurish and not pleasing on the eye to see them all over the screen. At the moment still using FR24. I look forward to them disappearing asap. Regards, Roger

Hi Southcoast,

We refer to those as "Radar Labels" and they are similar to the labels used in the RadarBox desktop software. They can easily be disabled by clicking on the "Options" tab in the left column, then under "Map" tab, select "On Hover". This will only show a hover label for the aircraft that your mouse is over. Once you make the setting change, your browser should remember the setting so you don't need to change the setting every time. Thank you for the feedback.

Runway 31

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
Hi RB24 Dev,

I have it on hover, but on RB the lables are transparent although in RB24 they may not stand out clearly against the map but I also think it may be worthwhile trying out transparent lables as the black ones are a distraction.

Alan
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:18:43 PM by Runway 31 »

southcoast

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 02:45:43 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate that if you turn on the "hover" the black radar boxes will disappear but I, probably like other users don't want to "hover" over  every plane to find out what it is !. As Alan said in his post it would be a lot easier to make the labels Transparent so all the aircraft details are visible all the time as in FR24, the black ones are a real distraction. As you know there are various map views if the details do not stand out clearly but I have not had this problem with other web based aviation software and also Airnav RadarBox. Regards again. Roger

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 07:58:19 PM »
Roger & Alan,

Thank you both for the input. As part of the design process, we had earlier planned to develop a semi-transparent version of the Radar Labels but never fully implemented it. Here is a mockup image of what we had in mind. Do you feel that something like this work? If you have something else in mind that you feel would work better, please describe your idea in as much detail as possible. We want to get it right so your detailed input is important.

Runway 31

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 10:15:12 PM »
3D Dev,

Completely transparent would be best, have a look at Radarbox to see what is needed.  The text in the semi-transparent ones you show isnt legible enough.

Alan

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 11:01:42 PM »
3D Dev,

Completely transparent would be best, have a look at Radarbox to see what is needed.  The text in the semi-transparent ones you show isnt legible enough.

Alan

Perfect--I understand what you are after now.

I will discuss the details with the team and hopefully have something on the server in the next few days for you to evaluate.

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 01:46:28 AM »
Can you guys take a look at the new "transparent" setting for the Radar Labels and see if it will be useful? It's a little difficult to read when over light areas. I added a slight text shadow under the label text when it sets to "transparent" mode. If it proves useful, we will leave this "transparent" feature in.

NOTE - you may need to clear your browser cache to pick up the latest JavaScript files (in Firefox a Control+refresh should do the trick).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:48:56 AM by AirNav 3D Development »

prbflight

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 02:47:04 AM »
Wow that was quick!  Looks much better.  Works great.  Thanks.

Paul@cyyb

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 04:18:53 AM »
Can you guys take a look at the new "transparent" setting for the Radar Labels and see if it will be useful?

Not useful here at all - the labels virtually "disappear" into the rest of the map when using transparent background.

before and after transparent option selected.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 08:09:15 AM »
Not useful here at all - the labels virtually "disappear" into the rest of the map when using transparent background.

These transparent labels work best with one of the darker map options - Radar or Dark work particularly well.

Runway 31

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »
3D Dev, only problem with the white text for the transparent lables is that it gets mixed up with the white text of the town/city names on the map.  Maybe its a case of trying out different text colours to see what stands out best.

While my preference is lable on hover, some like lables on all the time and giving the choice of labels is a good option to have.  Maybe a choice of a darker and a lighter text being available for transparent lables for use dependent on map option chosen by the user may be a way forward.

Alan

southcoast

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
Hi, transparent labels are great, just select a map to suit and there you have it, PLEASE leave this option in the final release. thank you Airnav, now while I have your attention  :-) , when you select an aircraft it shows the route but you cant unselect it! so is it possible to click on the selected aircraft to remove the track, at moment you have to select another aircraft to track, and..... in the "layers" option when selecting the World Runways all you get is a small yellow line, could it be changed to World Airports with a larger icon and maybe a "mouse over" to ID the airport, maybe I am asking to much but if you dont ask you dont get!..  Many thanks for the quick response/fix to the original post on the black boxes. Regards, Roger. (UK)

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 10:14:16 AM »
I asked for that feature in "various comments" reply 53. The transparent labels work for me.
Dave.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

landyman

• IC-706, UBC3500XLT, ANRB.
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 04:26:07 PM »
Once you make the setting change, your browser should remember the setting so you don't need to change the setting every time.

When can this be added to the RB software?