AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: help/information needed  (Read 3526 times)

maxrad

help/information needed
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:34:08 AM »
I am sure that I am not using my RB facilities as to its full potential, but could do with advice from more experienced users, I live very close to SEN and its this airport that I have the most intrest in, the other code for this airport  is EGCM. I have set the long/lat to the center of the runway, however the monitoring of  aircraft is proving difficult as it would seem that the aircraft transponders are turned of when near this airport both take of and landing.  As  a work around to this problem I have havested the Hex and registration code and use these to filter the aircraft in, this is more successful , but when these filtered aircraft are dectected they are normally above 10000 ft and I still do not pick up the landing of take off, I understand that websites like planefinder use information from the RB boxes accross the globe  which seem to have a better success rate of picking up aircraft at my location than I do. Has anybody got any explanations of what could be wrong.

Runway 31

Re: help/information needed
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 09:13:02 AM »
As Radarbox works using line of sight I can only assume there are obtacles like terrain, buildings, trees etc between you and the airport. The transponder is not being turned off it will just be that your box cannot see the aircraft due to obstacles.

The websites you mention will be being fed by users who are seeing the aircraft down to ground level and are not having the 1000 ft limitation you are seeing.  A way to find out would be to take your box and laptop out to the airport and see if you can get them on the ground.

Alan

maxrad

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 10:13:03 AM »
no this cannot be the case I am 3/4 mile from the airport and under the flight path Beleive me I can see the pilot the aircraft when either departing or landing is less the 400 ft I have no problems line of sight plus in fact I have to limit the radius so not to pick up gatwick and heathrow my pick up patten is perfect foe what i whish to pick up its good for me as I here them take off as I so close and then get a visual, so its easy to see the time lag if any. thats if I can see the aircraft, there has been some controvesy over the present owners, in regards to the amount of flights is it possible they could simply be hiding

Runway 31

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:01:54 AM »
In think they would find it hard to hide a big noisy aircraft!!  Do you have an external antenna or are you using the supplied one.  If it is the supplied on can it see the aircraft in question at all times, even although you can see the aircraft can it?

Alan
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 11:03:31 AM by Runway 31 »

maxrad

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:06:02 AM »
obviously they are not hiding the aircraft but are they hiding the information from it as if this is the case it makes it hard to state outherwise so effectively yes the plane is invisible unless you have video eveidnce and even that hard to authenticate

Runway 31

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »
I would think the flight will be well documented on the airport arrivals/departure board among other locations

What about the question regarding your antenna>

Alan

maxrad

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 12:32:53 PM »
Re aerial  it has clear veiws over fields, what does not have clear veiws is gatwick and heathrow but I get landing and take off info from them (no way line of sight) and not via internet either less the a mile from local airport SEN cant see landing or take off , 65-75 mile away from heath and gat

Bob SEN

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 05:27:37 PM »
Have you Auto set the QNH for SEN in the "Smartview" tab?

at present I am only using the antenna that came with the box, indoors & "lose" the aircraft just before landing (around 60ft)

Cheers

Bob
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:30:43 PM by Bob SEN »
1/2 a mile South of EGMC/SEN

MY PHOTO'S http://www.flickr.com/photos/96219572@N07/

maxrad

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 05:38:58 PM »
what is QNH and where do i find it I have gone through all the tabs at the top of the page and it does not seem to be listed there ,     I am on rochford side do you pick everything up

maxrad

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 05:42:20 PM »
sorry must learn to read and yes it is set to "southend on sea" should it be that or SEN   the auto set QNH is ticked

maxrad

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 06:09:56 PM »
I am near the cherry tree when working I could see both landing and take of I have my aerial out side on top of a wall standard aerial sealed in a plastic case I also see the landing and take off from gatwick and heathrow I had to lower my aerial to get rid of the far away aircraft, as you will probably know they have changed their coding system from EGCM to SEN but it almost feels that they are trying to hide the aircraft I used to get about 20 a day now none I pick other aircraft  I have them mailed to me each day and there is always about 5000 craft but now none from SEN
what prompted you to get your system