AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Visit To My Local Airport & RB2008  (Read 11858 times)

Bigyun2000

A Visit To My Local Airport & RB2008
« on: March 30, 2008, 11:09:16 PM »
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has come accross this problem?

Went to my local airport, setup the RB2008, antenna on top of the car.  I was expecting an excellent coverage and a great day recording at real-time.

Unfortunately this wasn't to be. When i first ran RB software v1.5, i got lots of hits for about 1minute.  Then everything timed out.  I waited a few mins then closed down the program and re-started it.  Exactly the same thing happened.

I rebooted my Laptop (Vista) a number of times still with the same result. (my laptop battery was fully charged).  So that spoiled a good day out.

I also had an inverter that converts 12v to 230v thru the cigatette lighter.  It charges my battery up with no problems.  But still had nothing on my RB screen.

The RB2008 works fine on its own when connected to the mains at home, so i can only come to the conclusion that it is to do with the possible lack of voltage at the usb sockets.

Has anyone had similar issues please and if so how have you rectified them.
Thanks

mt007

• PGAv - Portugalia Airlines Virtual
Re: A Visit To My Local Airport & RB2008
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 12:50:33 AM »
Big,
tell me you are RB2008 administrative rights in your laptop vista?
Regards
Miguel Teixeira
Oeiras, Portugal

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:45:25 AM »
1.5 should not have issue whether you have admin rights or not.

It does sound like there was not enough power.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 07:52:37 AM »
Maybe some sort of power saving setting which stops the 5 volts to the USB port when not connected to the mains?

I would have thought that with the invertor, this would have made the laptop think that it was getting mains power.

Does your car accessory socket still give power with the ignition off?  My Renault cuts power after about 10 minutes, very annoying.  As it's got a start button rather than an ignition key, the only way to get power back is to start and stop the enging to start the 10 minutes again.

steveb25

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 08:03:41 AM »
BigYun2000 and all

I regularly run ANRB on my laptop with just the battery. It works fine. So as far as I am concerned with my laptop it is not a voltage problem.

I aslo have a converter similiar to yours and as long as i plug in the converter prior to turning on my laptop that works fine also.

So as far as I am concerned it is not an ANRB problem

Bigyun2000

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:31:13 AM »
Thanks all for your comments.  I didn't think it was the RB2008 but more the power issue.

The inverter i have is just a cheapie off ebay, a £5 job, just to charge my battery.
When i was at Manchester yesterday, a guy in the next car had the SBS-1.  He said he had similar problems then bought an inverter from Halfords with a max 1000w peak and 500w constant supply.  He had a nice little setup in his boot consisting of a car battery, the inverter, laptop, SBS-1 and a variety of scanners and cameras.

I have just ordered the same item off ebay but half the price of Halfords (no suprise).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230236613333&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=260224332718&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CategoryProximity&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=its%3DS%252BI%252BSS

Will let you know how i get on.
Thanks again

steveb25

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 11:06:37 AM »
Bigyun2000

Which item was it?

Wayne

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 11:12:50 AM »
Hi there

I was at Manchester yesterday with RB and had no problems at all. I used to have problems with timing out on my laptop but was advised in the early days by people on here to untick the Share Data checkbox within the Preferences menu and all has been well since either using the battery or a cigarette lighter connection

Bigyun2000

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 10:48:47 PM »
steveb25

500w version with a 1000w pep.  You can even boil a kettle for a hot drink :)

Seems some of us goto Manchester spotting.  Maybe we could all meet up one weekend and swap ideas etc.

PM me.  I think we may be going Wednesday this week as we cant go this weekend.

BTW i went to Doncaster Robin Hood today and had a nice surprise. G-GSSB Global Supply Systems 747 doing circuits and bumps.  Got some good pictures.

Sorry a bit off topic.
Regards
Tony

steveb25

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 08:41:22 AM »
Tony

Yes saw him on the ANRB going round and round

Bigyun2000

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 04:35:45 PM »
Wayne

Great stuff.  I went to MAN yesterday (wednesday) Unticked the share box and RB worked 99.9%.  Only problem i was having was that it identified some a/c but not others.  So i was a little confused really.

I wasn't sure if every a/c transmitted a msg or not. 
RB showed virtually every take-off, showed some incomming traffic but an awful lot of traffic was missed.

I would see traffic on the RB at about 20nm out lining up for Man airport so i would go sit in the car for a few mins only to see that there was about 5 or 6 other landings before it, but not seen on screen.

So i am at a loss.  Any ideas anyone.

Thanks

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 05:12:38 PM »
Wayne

Great stuff.  I went to MAN yesterday (wednesday) Unticked the share box and RB worked 99.9%.  Only problem i was having was that it identified some a/c but not others.  So i was a little confused really.

I wasn't sure if every a/c transmitted a msg or not. 
RB showed virtually every take-off, showed some incomming traffic but an awful lot of traffic was missed.

I would see traffic on the RB at about 20nm out lining up for Man airport so i would go sit in the car for a few mins only to see that there was about 5 or 6 other landings before it, but not seen on screen.

So i am at a loss.  Any ideas anyone.

Thanks

No, not all aircraft have ADS-B equipment, and some of those that do don't transmit position, so although they will appear in your MyFlights list, they will not show on the map.

See this FAQ:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=8.0

A Manchester today, I was picking up roughly half of the inbound and outbound aircraft on the map.  The aircraft that weren't showing were mostly either older cargo aircraft, or smaller aircraft like the Jetstream turbo prop.  Even though I couldn't see some of the aircraft on the map, I could still see most of them in the aircraft list, so I could follow their movements by listening to ATC and using the Mk1 eyeball :-)

I was getting aircraft out to about 150 miles, if fact I had to use the height filter to only show traffic below 15,000 ft so the screen wasn't cluttered by overflights.

Bigyun2000

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 06:08:58 PM »
Allocator

Thanks again, always to the rescue :)

I try and go to Manchester a couple of times a month and now i know whats what it should make it more interesting.

I haven't really used the filters so i think thats what i should have a look at next :)

Thanks
Tony

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 07:11:57 PM »
Just another thin g to check. When you switched off the timeouts and hibernation settings on the laptop, did you also check that the USB power savings were also set to off. If not they will stop being monitored after whatever time the settings were for.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 04:26:28 PM »
Just in case anyone in the UK is interested, Argos are selling an inverter (350w continuous, 500w peak) for £26.65.

Offer lasts til June 15th.

Just bought one and tested it - works fine to power the laptop & RadarBox :-)

Rod
Rod