AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mode-s and the Reds ?  (Read 2063 times)

oliver14

Mode-s and the Reds ?
« on: September 21, 2012, 08:25:51 AM »

I am mainly interested in the military and I know this has been discussed before, but not recently as far as I can see. apologies if it has.

I find it unusual that with more and more RAF frontliners equipping with mode-s, that the Reds have still to switch it on, has anyone heard anymore on this, or even picked one up ?

I work underneath the Lichfield radar corridor, and I know that all of them have been through, but not one have been logged.

When I venture into the low fly areas in Wales I am picking up more T1s now and all T2s appear to be using it.

thanks in advance.

ACW367

Re: Mode-s and the Reds ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 10:41:25 AM »
For the RAF, the implementation of Mode S is largely due to whether there is a pressing requirement to add a collision warning system (CWS) to the fleet.  The MOD is operating in financially austere times and whilst they would like to introduce CWS universally to all fleets, funding simply isn't available and they are prioritising CWS against other safety features like Fuel Tank Inerting and Fire Detection systems.  Often this prioritisation is based on whether it forms recommendations of Service Inquities/inquests into previous aircraft accidents.    For example Hercules got Fuel Tank Inerting as a priority as a result of the Service Inquiry and inquest of one that was shot down.  While Grob Tutor got CWS/Mode S as a priority following two tragic mid-air collision events.

oliver14

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 03:56:11 PM »
Many thanks for your reply, I guess it's all down to priority in the end, maybe one day :-)

patcarty2

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 11:44:23 AM »
It is also to do with the location of the Hawk Mode S transponder. In the case of the Reds, they use that area for smoke generation equipment.

However, some have been modified for a bulkhead fit for a smaller unit.
Pat