AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problems following Windows 8.1 upgrade  (Read 5256 times)

ifinlay

Problems following Windows 8.1 upgrade
« on: October 18, 2013, 08:46:34 AM »
I wonder are any other Windows 8.1 early adopters having trouble with RadarBox Pro.  I had it working fine on Windows 8.0 64-bit (version 4.03 with the 64 bit drivers and driver validation disabled).  I upgraded to Windows 8.1 last night and this morning I find that:

- I needed to install the drivers again because the Windows upgrade put driver checking back on - fixed that
- On startup RadarBox had forgotten my username and password
- When I supply these and also click "Remember Password" then the Start button does nothing.  If I untick "Remember Password" then the program launches ok.  However...
- I get no aircraft listed when I know they should be there (e.g. Ryanair 737 departing  past my window about 2 miles away in clear line of sight of the antenna...should have picked up that one!)
- The above is all from a "standard" user account.  If I run the program as administrator everything works fine albeit it treats me like a new user as perhaps it should.
- I tried a reinstall of the program but to no avail.  I wonder though if there were residual user settings that won't have been deleted during the uninstall.

Anyone else getting this behaviour?  Any ideas how to get round it?  Is 8.1 officially supported?  I note that Win8 drivers are under test at the moment.

Ian F

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
Re: Problems following Windows 8.1 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »
I had the same issues, but I haven't lost any ability to pick up aircraft.
I take it you've a green light for "hardware connected"?

Interesting that AirNav were asking for testers on Windows 8 last week, so hopefully any new release (ha!) might sort all this out.........

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 02:00:32 PM »
We are looking at Windows 8 drivers so hopefully we have will that issue resoloved soon.

Regarding running on Windows 8 or any other OS we always advise to run as Adminstrator otherwise you will not be able to store or retrieve data from the registry (memory store for your settings) as well as other permissions cause issues.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

ifinlay

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 02:15:05 PM »
Thanks Marpleman / AirNav Support,

It's definitely not a hardware / connection error as everything works fine when I run as administrator.

A real shame if I have to always run as administrator from now on because:

- It breaks a sensible operating system security model - user data shouldn't be parked in highly protected operating system repositories unless they use the correct channels.
- It's a pain to have to supply an admin password everytime I run the program from Standard.
- It has been working just fine as a Standard user installation for several years until the upgrade yesterday.

I'm wondering if Microsoft has tightened something up that AirNav has been exploiting up to now (after all we have lived with unsigned drivers for ages)!  The fact that asking for my password to be saved renders the Start button ineffective suggests a privileges block of some kind that wasn't there in 8.0.  I'm not hopeful therefore that new drivers will fix this but you never know your luck :-)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:17:15 PM by ifinlay »

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 07:47:28 PM »
Sorry to be a pain, but we are basically users of an unsupported system.......

Otherwise known as a commercial disaster.
My patience has just about ran out with this sorry fiasco