anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: entering a/c details  (Read 15128 times)

b744

entering a/c details
« on: July 06, 2007, 04:07:02 PM »
up and running fine. A/c with no reg info, cant seem to manually edit to show reg. Gone into database and searched for the hex code but the new hex codes dont seem to be in there. How do I attach new info to a hex code thats been picked up.
Many thanks

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: entering a/c details
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 04:11:51 PM »
If is not in the database. Click the "+" button and you should be able to add the details.

We are looking into a better method of new aircraft being added and the database being kept up to date. Bear with us on that one.

Enjoy your tracking.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

b744

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 06:01:06 PM »
can you tell me how the database works. When I pick up a new contact, it dosent appear to be added to the db as the number of entries is not increasing.
Picked up 4CA51E which Radarbox has no info on. This is EI-DJS an RJ85. How do I input this into the DB ?? If I cant edit like this then the same unknowns will appear day after day !!
Please advise me on the above

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 06:14:34 PM »
Hi b744,

The way you could do it is by checking the MyLog entry you will see all the aircraft that have been picked up by your RadarBox. Some will only display the hexcode.

These ones are the ones missing from the database. Before continuing go to File -> Prefences -> RadarBox -> and click the refresh MyLog Aircraft Information. This might update a few of the missing aircraft from the database.

You can now add the aircraft to database as mentioned in the earlier post and once done save the databse and refresh the MyLog Aircraft information again.

Hope this helps.
[email protected]

b744

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 06:27:38 PM »
well for a future upgrade, the writing of new contacts to the database must be seen as an essential feature, then with the ability to add other details as they become known. I didn't realise I have to add unknowns manually !!
Rgds

concorde001

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 08:24:56 PM »
I would find manually adding details very time consuming and so it would mean my database would be out of date very quickly and a lot of regs would not shown in my logs. There must be a way of importing from a central dbase for all registered users. Whta about some link with airframes database.org ?

Geoff

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 08:26:49 PM »
Or perhaps setting up something like that GAS connection into SBS-1 which provides data for each unknown code and can be used to recheck at a later date for further updates of missing data.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 08:37:19 PM »
Hi concorde001,

As mentioned in earlier topics, we are looking into that as that would be easiest option.

Hope they accept.
[email protected]

b744

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 09:25:47 AM »
think both concord(e)001 and roadrunner missed the main point,unknown contacts are NOT added to your database, so if you dont add/edit them then they aint there !
This needs to be addressed in the upgrade which with luck will be out in the near future and include heights for non ads a/c.
Rgds

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 09:22:27 PM »
Looking through the supplied database there appears to be no military aircraft details stored so that will mean a lot of manual entering for military enthusiasts. However, I did notice in my list of local aircraft a REACH callsgned Civil aircraft showing a US Military flag. This seems to indicate some military flags being available even if any relevant aircraft are not.  THis would also show that that the callsign selects the relevant company flag rather than the aircraft ownership details. If this is the case could get interesting when Easyjet et al start hiring in aircraft at peak times. We will have the flight operators flag not the aircraft owner ?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 09:58:19 PM »
The flag for the aircraft is dependant on the hex code i.e its country is shown. The airline picture is shown dependent on the Flight id.

Also there are military aircraft stored in the database. They should be at the start, can you confirm you see them?

I hope that clears that up.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 10:00:52 PM by AirNav Support »
[email protected]

b744

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 08:02:40 AM »
Sorry but its me again about the database part of Radarbox. I think a total rethink is needed. Talked about the need to write each new contact to the database but also (like the sbs) it would be very useful to be able to edit the database via the a/c list in Radarbox,this way an unknown contact can have its details applied during the session. Tried to edit the database while radarbox is running and the details jump around as it picks up new aircraft.This leaves the user with a very time consuming read of the days log to filter unknown a/c and then manually edit/add these to the database.
Not trying to knock the radarbox,but the database is not very good. If you look back to early days of sbs,their db again had serious problems and they took the very brave decision to completely change the whole structure and use SQL instead of XML files. Eventually they had a very easy to use/edit database so a rethink and re design on Airnavs side would be very beneficial to the users....my humble opinion.
Sorry for going on so long but this is a major problem I've found after only a few days use.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 12:46:24 PM »
Hi b744,

Yes we are having a good think about this one, the more requests or ideas the better :) Let me just clarify for potential customers the database (entry wise is pretty good) however its the continuing updating thats the issue and more the interface to change the database.

We are trying to get a online repository up so most of the tie ups would be done by that and yes being able to edit an aircraft from just the "MyFlights" would be good.

If you any others have ideas don't hesitate to contact us as thats what the forum is for.

[email protected]

ATCManch

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 07:26:34 PM »

Not trying to knock the radarbox,but the database is not very good.

I brought up this subject last week and i haven't even bought a unit yet. And I won't until it's resolved.

Databases in other AirNav products have not been good and this was a major concern for me buying one. Unfortunately AirNav decided that my message had nothing to do with the RadarBox Forum as it mentioned their other products and so deleted it.

Bit Big Brother like really, screening messages in case it's bad PR maybe

Still, at least they're saying they're trying to resolve the issues. We will see, but the rival is looking better and better at the moment

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 07:37:59 PM »
As mentioned in your post, the database is something which requires a huge amount of work all the time. If we were to continually update the products database ourselves the cost would be massive and hence passed on to the customers.

That's why we are looking into a online repository. Your post was not blocked but we answered questions related to RadarBox. This forum is for RadarBox and not for any other products (please check the rules). so please stick to RadarBox. Your post has already been talked about and you have already mentioned this before and we have replied to you about it.

Just for clarification SBS has not updated there database either. There database is being updated by individuals and 3rd party applications.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 07:41:08 PM by AirNav Support »
[email protected]