AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Auto Detect my location - Can I use it when I am out?  (Read 4725 times)

ukpbz

Auto Detect my location - Can I use it when I am out?
« on: March 28, 2008, 11:38:35 PM »
First day with my Radarbox so apologies for the questions

So lets say that tomorrow I want to go out with laptop and RadarBox. I go to an airport 100 miles away and sit in a designated viewing area. Can I use the auto detect function to locate my exact spot? Will that affect my 'Home' Position?

Is it as simple as clicking the 'Auto detect my location' as it didnt do too good a job finding me at home :-)

Cheers

Paul

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Auto Detect my location - Can I use it when I am out?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 11:41:25 PM »
No problem that's what we are here for. Auto detect uses your Internet IP address to work out your location, sometimes its pretty close other times its out by a long way. Its the best way without actually having a GPS.

However you can also set your location by selecting a town, city if you are not on the Internet by going to File -> Preferences -> Home Station Data
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 03:48:35 PM »
Paul,

You can also try www.Multimap.com input your Postcode and in the resultant reply will be a grid reference, example below

Lat:   51:54:27N (51.90763)
Lon:   0:10:32W (-0.17542)

You will need to use the figures in the brackets.

Regards

Mike

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 06:32:14 PM »
How about this as a compromise:

I guess a lot of people will be taking their laptops and RadarBoxes to a selection of fixed locations, home, work, local airport, weekend haunt, etc.

Could we have a selection of 'Home' locations that we could enter and then save, and then quickly select when we set up at each location? Perhaps it could be associated with a default map for that location, too.

It would avoid having to note them all down on a post-it note!

Rod
Rod

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 08:53:17 AM »
How about this as a compromise:

I guess a lot of people will be taking their laptops and RadarBoxes to a selection of fixed locations, home, work, local airport, weekend haunt, etc.

Could we have a selection of 'Home' locations that we could enter and then save, and then quickly select when we set up at each location? Perhaps it could be associated with a default map for that location, too.

It would avoid having to note them all down on a post-it note!

Rod

Why not create individual maps for each of the locations you visit (e.g. Heathrow, Gatwick, Stanstead, Luton etc) and save each of these and when you go to them you can use the relevant one. I cant get too hung up on having "home" as the location when I go away from "home"  :-)

Mike