AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help- advice on big drop in My Flights please  (Read 5336 times)

chris kelham

Help- advice on big drop in My Flights please
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »
Hope someone can advise on what my likely problem is before I have to purchase new box

Box has been repaired twice (last time poor USB connection needed resoldering as box wouldn't connect)

Took my box to heathrow this week - nice hot day - pre- olympic traffic. Ariel was mounted on car roof but as i moved it the heat meant that the bootom stayed on car. After a panic reapplied it and it kept on working -Phew!   
Used the box at home the next day picking up my usual 30ish flights.
Left box running as I went out as usual came back and screen was frozen. restarted Airnav - 2 My flights.

Tried box again next day and my flights still only in 3-5 range when network traffic is showing in my area that I really should be picking up.

Is it going to be a new ariel or has my box gone again? Any thoughts before I return for repair would be appreciated. last repair on box wasn't that long ago - should I just quit and get another while on offer at £300.

Help missing my box already  Chris

Runway 31

Re: Help- advice on big drop in My Flights please
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »
My feeling with what you stated is that I would look at the antenna first, loose connection maybe? Do you know anyone nearby you could try theirs?

Alan

Bob SEN

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:55:15 PM »
I agree with Alan............ Antenna 1st, I replaced mine a while back after a bad connection was found at the connector....... £20 @ W & S .......

cheers

Bob
1/2 a mile South of EGMC/SEN

MY PHOTO'S http://www.flickr.com/photos/96219572@N07/

vonsmalhausen

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 04:38:25 PM »
same here, reception with my standard arial had dopped severely lately, the cable turned out to be loose (on both ends ) ordered a new one, reception back to normal, even better then with the original one.

chris kelham

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »
Don't know anyone with ariel so will order new one on Monday. I'm suprised that it worked OK after reattching for the rest of the day and the next day - but it's got to be worth a shot. Thanks for posts

Chris

Northern Watch

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 06:11:44 PM »
Hi Chris

Just though I would mention the age old problem of suspect USB cables.  Using the search tool, it looks as if there is a long history of faults which could cause a drop in flights.  Its worth a try before splashing out on a new anteena.

Reards

NW

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 08:22:19 PM »
Hi Chris, like the others, I doubt it's the RB itself if W&S have already done work on it.   It would certainly be more cost effective to buy replacement antenna, and keep it as a spare, even if you do end up replacing the RB itself!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!