anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RIAT Fairford 2012  (Read 8297 times)

2E0FLP

RIAT Fairford 2012
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:09:27 AM »
Hi All !

I am planning to spend a few days at the International Air Tattoo at Fairford here in the UK for the arrivals days and also the departures on Monday, may I pose a question (or two!):

1: Whilst I know that military aircraft do not send out their positional information, I regularly pick up many RAF, USAF aircraft here in Gloucestershire, Callsign and aircraft reg. altitude for example, do all military aircraft send out this info? I am particularly interested as the B-2 Spirit is due to turn up and I think it would be rather cool to see that one on the aircraft list !! Also the Osprey VTOL. Don't know if there is a silhouette for that one !!
The Red Arrows flew nearby the other weekend, heard them on UHF but not a dicky-bird on the Radarbox!

2: Did a dry run last week on top of Clee Hill in Shropshire (400M ASL) with the Airnav box and laptop, portable system looking fine, I usually pick up about 60-70 aircraft max at home  with an external antenna on the roof. Picked up over 240 aircraft in "MyFlights" list !!! a lot of GA aircraft (as it was a "Nice" day) which brings me onto my third (and last) question.

3: Is there an easy way to set the filters to only display non-airline aircraft to keep the aircraft list a bit shorter. Also, if playing back a recording at home when I've got internet access will the aircraft photo box be populated (assuming a photo exists)?

Thanks in anticipation

Paul

PS. If you're going to Fairford and have an amateur licence, give me a shout on 2m 145.500

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: RIAT Fairford 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:59:31 AM »
Hi Paul

I'll leave it to others to answer most of your questions, but at least I've just done photo-silhouettes of the B-2 and V-22 in preparation for RIAT. See the silhouettes thread.

Must admit I'd be pleasantly surprised if the V-22 showed up on RadarBox, and thoroughly amazed if the B-2 did!

But then I did get a Eurofighter with full ADS-B a few days ago.

Rod
Rod

chewycanes

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 04:34:35 AM »
Hi Paul

Don't think the B2 gives any adsb signal.
As for the V22 i think they did when arriving at Mildenhall last year so hopefully will this year.

I set my alerts for any military a/c that i can (ie 43C* for UK military AE* and AD* for US Military).
I also set the quick filter to ' Latitude = 0'and click on modeS column to order them. This still gives airlines that are not full adsb but makes it easier to scan up and down for military flights. Downside is that any that are full adsb won''t show but hopefully i have had an alert.

Hope it helps.

Brian

2E0FLP

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 08:19:51 PM »
Many Thanks for the replies Chaps !

Looking forward to next weeks start of RIAT on Wednesday, having spent many years going along to Fairford to watch/photograph the incoming aircraft, went along last year with my Yaesu FT857 and really enjoyed listening to the radio coms. No UHF on the FT857 so will be using other equipment this time.
Picked up the BBMF Dakota this afternoon, Alt 1500ft nr. Cheltenham but didn't see/hear the beast.

Will keep you informed how it all goes.

Cheers

Paul

RodBearden

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »
I don't imagine we'll see many ADS-B aircraft at Fairford, but here's one arriving.

Rod
Rod

dotspotter2003

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 02:23:56 PM »
Also look out for the Swiss PumaT-317.This is plotting on the screen in South East London just gone past Biggin Hill.First helicopter I have seen plotting.

Steve

RodBearden

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 03:06:33 PM »
And here it is arriving, preceded by an Airbus Atlas.

Rod
Rod

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 03:09:22 PM »
The T-317 seemed to fly around 1000ft across the channel and across to Fairford. It was great to see it being tracked at that height all the way till landing. Shows the great coverage in Northern France and the UK.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

2E0FLP

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 04:38:50 PM »
Hi All

I'm glad I made the effort !!

Was at Fairford on Wednesday, Thursday (arrivals) and for departures on Monday, Radarbox worked faultlessly I'm pleased to say.

I had the laptop connected to the internet via a mobile dongle and was connected to the network so I'm pleased that some of you spotted some of the more unusual "hits" and yes, I was rather surprised when the Swiss Puma popped up on the map !!! There is also a Swiss Pilatus PC21 (HB-HZC) which is full mode s enabled, makes for an interesting screen plot when it's doing aerobatics.

Have attached a picture of my mobile "shack"

Cheers

Paul

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 04:43:46 PM »
Brilliant 2E0FLP! Your coverage was very helpfull when tracking the Puma last week. Which anetnna were you using?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

RodBearden

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »
Many thanks, Paul

Rod
Rod

chewycanes

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 06:02:32 PM »
Hi Paul

Excellent set-up and glad you had a good time at Fairford with it.

Brian