anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which are real time and which are delayed?  (Read 11028 times)

aalcaraz78

Which are real time and which are delayed?
« on: July 03, 2012, 08:28:28 PM »
I know this has been asked before (somewere in these forums) but cant seem to find the thread...anyway, I am a newbie here so bear with me...I just bought RB 3D and love it but I got a couple questions I am hoping you guys can help me.

1. How can I tell which flights are live and which are delayed?
2. Is there a way to find out the range of my antenna? Im using a DPD antenna.

Thanks! and sorry for reposting...

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Which are real time and which are delayed?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:45:07 PM »
Hi

The flights you see on the MyFlights screen are live.

If you have the network and haven't upgraded, you will be seeing network flights 5 minutes delayed, with a gap of 30 seconds between updates. If you have upgraded you will see a "Real Time Network" indicator at the bottom of the screen, and it will update every 20 seconds.

You can go to  the Tools menu and choose Network Account Information to check your network status.

To see the range of your antenna, turn on your Polar Diagram on the Map menu (there's a button on the top toolbar to do that, too).

HTH

Rod
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:50:56 PM by RodBearden »
Rod

aalcaraz78

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 08:48:02 PM »
Thanks so much you were a big help!

RodBearden

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 08:51:50 PM »
It's a pleasure :-)

Rod
Rod

aalcaraz78

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
I have a indoor DPD antenna and would like to know if this is a decent coverage for the antenna being mounted in my living room? As always I want to get the most out of this device but the antenna came with an 18' coax and dont want to diminish reception by extending it....much appreciated!

RodBearden

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »
Ah - so it's your box that we're seeing round there - I've done lots of airport outlines for your surrounding airfields recently, including San Bernadino just a couple of days ago.

Your results look pretty good for an indoor aerial. The ADS-B signals are easily blocked by walls, buildings, and even modern coated window glass, so you'll probably see a big improvement by getting the antenna outside, unless yu're surrounded by taller buildings.

DPD aerials are well respected by many RadarBox users, but they still can't see through walls!

I've got 15m (nearly 50ft) of high quality cable up to my outside aerial, and, thanks to also living on top of a hill, get really good results despite any cable loss (and I don't have a pre-amp).

By the way, the polar diagram will build up over time (you can clear/reset it on the File...Preferences dialogue box).

Rod
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:34:10 PM by RodBearden »
Rod

aalcaraz78

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 09:46:02 PM »
Thanks a lot yes i have the antenna right next to my pc and radarbox in my livingroom and theres 18' coax attached to it so i am going to experiment by taking it upstairs as high as i can to see if i get get better range it is an DPD indoor antenna and cant mount outside due to my complex policy so indoors will have to due but if you say its pretty good for indoors its good enough for me! :) if i notice better range ill be sure to post...thanks for all your help!

RodBearden

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 10:00:14 PM »
I'm guessing that your reception to the north west is being blocked by the mountains, and would be a lot better without them, and your reception to the south and east is great too. And you've got encouraging lobes to the north-east, as well, which may fill in over time.

Indoor aerials take a good deal of experimentation, so by resetting your polar diagram with every antenna move, and then giving it at least 24 hours to build up, you should be able to work out the best position.

It will probably take time.

Rod
Rod

aalcaraz78

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »
Thanks man, you sir have given me something to do for the next few days! LOL...can u recommend good sma cables and were i can buy in stores rather than ordering online (I hate waiting)....thanks again!

RodBearden

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »
Westflex 103 is generally considered to be the best antenna cable for virtual radar systems. Try searching the forum for more info - I just found this thread which might help: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=5542

No idea about US suppliers - I suggest Dr Google!

Rod
Rod

aalcaraz78

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 10:34:44 PM »
Thanks again!

aalcaraz78

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 02:46:06 AM »
By the way Rod, I just noticed you are the very one with the following website: http://rodb.gofreeserve.com/RadarBox/RadBox1.htm........Ive been looking on your page for months now and never donged on me it was you!....even more, thanks so much for your help and great site!

RodBearden

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 09:37:15 AM »
Yes, that's mine (link on the left underneath my name).

Glad to be of service!

Rod
Rod

aalcaraz78

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 04:27:35 PM »
Hey guys,

Okay after some testing my indoor DPD antenna at different locations inside my home (2 story) I have found that the attic (right up on the rafters) is the best place for reception (polar diagram). I tried several places but reception was dissapointing but I think that this location is great for being indoors. I used to get 6-12 local flights elsewere and now its 30-40 almost 50 at times (which is still nothing to brag about but its a big improvement).
Any thoughts would be appreciated compared to the last screenshot.....cheers!

neroon79

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
Looks much better. If you give it some more time I'm quite sure that the polar diagram may/will spread out to SW direction several more miles. Due to the fact of the straight line you have there.

Would have been great I you had switched on the RADAR-Rings. Proceeding that may is making comparison much easier. ;-)
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3