AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Antenna - Please Give Options  (Read 10686 times)

Runway 31

Re: New Antenna - Please Give Options
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 11:29:21 AM »
Nitin,

If my memory serves me correct i think I used RG58 but if not available a suitable low loss cable would suffice.

Alan

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »
Hi Deaphen, you need a pigtail / patch lead with a minimum length of 12" I think 18" - 20" is ideal, but you may need a metre or slightly more depending on your individual circumstances, with an SMA plug on one end, which attaches to the RB.   Keep this attached as much as possible - these connectors aren't particularly robust and the socket is attached to the RB pcb.   On the other end, an in-line N connector would be my choice which'll fit nicely on RG213.   As Rod says above, don't dive into getting a pre-amp, until you've trialled the system without.   If you do eventually opt for a pre-amp, this needs to be as close to the antenna as possible.   HTH
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

deaphen

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 01:27:43 PM »
I experienced today, how do i put it? Hmmm possibly a very grave sense of disappointment! After all the research and the wonderful help I have received here, I purchased the radarama from a store in London, they dont ship to India so I ordered it to a friends house. After placing the order, the smarty pant store emailed saying that they dont accept Indian credit cards (for whatever crappy reason), thankfully my friend was gracious enough to order the Radarama for me.

My folks who were, by coincidence, travelling to LHR, picked up the antenna and brought it back.

Further, I then needed to hunt for good loss less co-ax cable, which I found a store in Delhi who sells the stuff quite cheap. Any how, I purchased 15 meters of RG 213 with a jumper wire of 1 meter comprising of RG 58. The idiots in Delhi sent me the jumper wire and the RG 213, however, they forgot to crimp the second N connector on the cable! It took me a month to get the second N connector, and mind you I bought ANOTHER 15 meters of the stuff to expedite my installation (holidays were and are running out and soon I will have ziltch time to devote to my lovely hobby), which I received today.

Excited, I climbed up to my roof to test the set up, I connected everything (the Radarama needed to be tested before I went and purchased the pipe on which it would rest) and waited in anticipation, however it is NOT picking up any signals!

I have switched between my indoor antenna, which is receiving signals loud and clear, however, when I set up the RG 213 / RG 58 / Radarama combo, bang... the screen goes blank and all planes I was receiving, time out.

What do I do? I feel like shooting myself!!

Regards
Nitin

Runway 31

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 01:36:28 PM »
Sorry to hear of all your trial, Nitin, so very frustrating for you.

The only thing I can suggest at this time is to re-check all the connections to make sure they are correct,  trial and error to see if you can find out where the problem lays.  Can you join the Radarbox and 1m jumper to the antenna missing out the 15m cable length to see if you get anything?

Alan

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »
Hi Nitin, Do you have or have access to a multimeter, if so check across the centre pins end to end for continuity, should be near zero resistance (Ohms).   If this is the case, then check for continuity between centre pins and the outside of the plug (screening) which should be ~ infinite/very high resistance, if a low resistance you have a short circuit (usually a frayed piece of screening across in one of the plugs) in one of the plugs. HTH, come back
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!