anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ADSB ON THE GROUND  (Read 2760 times)

hugh

ADSB ON THE GROUND
« on: June 11, 2012, 01:38:32 PM »
This morning i went to my local airport i had an unobstructive veiw of the end of the runway yet aircraft did not show on screen until wheels off the ground is this correct.

Hugh

ACW367

Re: ADSB ON THE GROUND
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »
A number of transponders have a ground & standby mode, which stops ATC approach radar pictures cluttering up with ground movements. 
Here is an example:
http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/G1000:Non-AirframeSpecific_TransponderPilotsGuide.pdf

5.2 OPERATION
MODE SELECTION
Mode selection can be automatic (Ground and Altitude modes) or manual (Standby, ON and Altitude modes). The STBY, ON and ALT softkeys can be accessed by pressing the XPDR softkey.

Ground Mode (Automatic)
Ground mode is automatically selected when the aircraft is on the ground. A green GND indication appears in the mode field of the Transponder Status bar. In Ground mode, the transponder does not allow Mode A and Mode C replies, but it does permit acquisition squitter and replies to discretely addressed Mode S interrogations. NOTE: Ground mode can be overridden by pressing any one of the Mode Selection
softkeys.

Standby Mode (Manual)
The Standby mode can be selected at any time by pressing the STBY softkey. In Standby mode, the transponder does not reply to interrogations, but new codes can be entered. If the Standby mode is selected, a white STBY indication appears in the mode field of the
Transponder Status bar. NOTE: In Standby mode, the IDENT function is inhibited.

FACTflights

• Amateur Radio is my hobby.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:37:27 AM »
ACW367,

Thank you, that explains a lot, very interesting. 

Nice to have someone on board that has read the operating manual.

When all else fails "RTFM"

John
John
ZS1AGH
We live under a rock:  Table Mountain

Icom IC 706 Mk II G; Icom IC 726; Icom IC T22E; Yaesu 290R; Alinco DJ-V5 
No HF antennae at the moment.

hugh

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 02:53:19 PM »
Thank you for reply.

Hugh

wschrabi

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 11:30:51 AM »
Thanks for that informative reply. I always was wondering that my tracking get timeout when the airplane has landed but still taxing. Now the sercet is disclosed.