anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Travelling with a Radarbox  (Read 4742 times)

andrewarles

• Database Updaters
Travelling with a Radarbox
« on: May 09, 2012, 03:38:16 PM »
I have just returned from Orlando, and on the return flight I put my Radarbox in the hold.  When I got home I opened the suitcase and found the Radarbox with a TSA (Transport Security Administration) leaflet around it (see attached).

Now I understand why I was called to make myself known to a cabin crew member after everyone had boarded.

They said it was because my boarding pass hadn't registered correctly and they wanted to check that I had boarded the plane !!!

Next time I'll be taking the Radarbox with me in hand luggage......

Andrew
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:24:49 PM by andrewarles »
16 NM SSW of LFMV (Avignon)
27 NM NW of LFML (Marseille)
Arles, France.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Travelling with a Radarbox
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:16:55 PM »
Hi Andrew

I doubt if it was to do with RadarBox in particular. In 2007 I did a trip to the States, and on every one of my six internal flights the TSA left one of their little notes in my suitcase. The only electrical things I had in the case were cameras, their batteries and chargers. And I was never called by the cabin crew.

Last year I did take my RadarBox in my suitcase and they didn't leave me a note. I think it's a manly random thing - I guess most suitcases will have something electrical in them, even if it's only a toothbrush.

Rod
Rod

ACW367

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 05:36:34 PM »
I have had these messages it in the past for papers.  Went to a number of sporting events and bought match programmes which went in the case.  It stack of programmes made of paper shows up on x-ray as a large square block of organic matter.  The same colour as a large square block of white powder would.  If you had packed papers or other organic matter, that may also be the cause. 

ACW367

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 05:41:54 PM »
PS my radarbox goes hand baggage, but that is more to do with the value and possibility of bag loss.  If you are putting it in the hold, you will need to check your travel insurance will cover the single item cost for replacement if your bag gets lost. 

I once had a proffesional camera (EOS-1) and lenses stolen from a camera bag by baggage handlers.  The check in desk made me put as checked baggage as they said it was too large for hand baggage.  When the bag came on the carousel the other end, it was completely empty.  Value was circa £1,400.  I only got £500 back from insurance. 

BadWolf

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 02:20:10 AM »
The radarbox looked atypical, so they took a look. I travel with test equipment for testing aircraft comm/nav systems and a wattmeter gets lots of attention. I guess it looks like a geiger counter...lol

FACTflights

• Amateur Radio is my hobby.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 08:52:24 AM »
Yes, I've had these notes rapped around my Fluke multimeter.
John
ZS1AGH
We live under a rock:  Table Mountain

Icom IC 706 Mk II G; Icom IC 726; Icom IC T22E; Yaesu 290R; Alinco DJ-V5 
No HF antennae at the moment.

LSZS

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 07:53:44 PM »
Hello all. Tuesday I will flight for the first time. I'd like to have radarbox in the place where I'm going.
The flight is between Milan and Frankfurt.
I'd like to have also the scanner to listen the comunications between vessels on the Rhein - Herne Channel.
I ask you an advice where to put these instruments to have no problems...
Thanks a lot...
Engadin Airport auf 1707m / 5600ft. Europas höchstgelegener Flughafen
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanobazzi/

Runway 31

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 07:57:20 PM »
Ton ensure they re not damaged i would carry them in your hand luggage.  Should have no problems with them otherwise

Alan

LSZS

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 08:06:12 PM »
Ok, thank you, and about the security control?
I don't understand if the radarbox can pass controls on the hand bag...
Engadin Airport auf 1707m / 5600ft. Europas höchstgelegener Flughafen
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefanobazzi/

ACW367

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 01:29:02 AM »
Ok, thank you, and about the security control?
I don't understand if the radarbox can pass controls on the hand bag...

Travel very regularly with Radarbox in hand baggage.  There will be no issue with it in handbaggage.  To be fair, people travel with so much tech now, one box with motherboards looks very much like another as they go through the xray scanner.  They are mostly looking for organic material with those xrays. 

hugh

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 11:32:17 AM »
We have had same it is just to tell you the case has been opened and searched.

Hugh

airdata

• Airdata
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 01:19:43 AM »
If an airline forces you to check-in an item deemed to big for cabin baggage, and it contains valuables, you should ask the airline about excess value declared.  Basically you pay around 50 cents for every $100 in your bag.  The airline is then liable for the full amount declared if they lose the bag or if it is pilfered.  Most IATA airlines have this but it is not widely known.
Under the flight path, 5NM from runway 23L threshold at Auckland (NZAA), New Zealand.

CYFC

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 08:13:58 PM »
I would suggest the search, had nothing to do with the contents, was a random search....I travel with my Beast and Airnav, in my hand baggage....wouldn't trust in checked bag....never had a moment of concern....Doug

tommyg

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 09:55:24 AM »
Flown all over Europe and US with my RB and an external hard drive (for my music/video's) in my hand baggage and have never once been questioned about either. I do pack them in bubble wrap as extra protection. I don't trust baggage handlers ( even though I was one once upon a time) and especially the TSA, they will force any bags open. Which to me seems to make the checkin agent saying did you pack your own bag irrelevent.

Tommy
Tommyg