AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Memory? Menus?  (Read 5459 times)

Deadcalm

Memory? Menus?
« on: March 24, 2008, 03:26:29 PM »
I've found that over a period of time RadarBox becomes sluggish, particularly as regards menu interaction - is there still a memory leak in the programme?

It also occurs to me that some selectable menu states don't seem to work at all.

For example, selecting items like: Railroads, Major roads, Urban areas, Cities, seems to have no visible effect.

And these ruddy purple lines are getting progressively worse...  are we absolutely positive it's nothing to do with the programme?

DC

Go around, I say again go around...

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Memory? Menus?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 03:30:54 PM »
Hi

Do you still get the pesky lines when you reduce the trail line duration to 1 in preferences?

I agree about your other comments - menus can get very sluggish, and I get no urban areas or roads, etc in Europewhen I try to get them - there are urban areas in the USA map , though.

Rod
Rod

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »
Not as far as we know, we have dedicated machines running RadarBox 24/7 for the last 2 weeks and have not picked up a memory leak.

The Railroads, Major roads, Urban areas, Cities are for US only, its difficult to get a world package but we are looking.

Those lines are due to aircraft with wrong positions hence it creates the trail. You can turn off the trials and they should dissapear to prove that point.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

EINN-07

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 03:53:59 PM »
And these ruddy purple lines are getting progressively worse...  are we absolutely positive it's nothing to do with the programme?

Is it possible to isolate the offending aircraft. Could be the same one each time ??

Deadcalm

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
The purple lines seem to traverse the whole globe...  I'd really like a more concise explanation than has been offered so far.  The mind conjures up images of flight crews deliberately inputting false position data just for a laugh.  I have my doubts - I thought position information was automatic, and reasonably accurate.

Whilst I'm having a bit of a rant, why is it that the Default Map setting frequently does it's own thing?  I have set (and saved) my default map countless times, and for some reason it decides to change itself, without any help from me.

One other thing, I've now purchased and downloaded the ACARS decoder (which, incidentally, when run with RadarBox causes the latter to run even more like treacle).  What is "Flightwatch"?   The only reference to it in the Help file is "Flight Watch: Where you will see message son the "watched" flight" - which is nonsense, and absolutely no help at all.

With respect, Airnav, I think the help files for both programmes could do with a bit of tidying up, particularly with the indexing...

DC (Disgruntled Client!)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 06:06:07 PM »
One other thing, I've now purchased and downloaded the ACARS decoder (which, incidentally, when run with RadarBox causes the latter to run even more like treacle).  What is "Flightwatch"?   The only reference to it in the Help file is "Flight Watch: Where you will see message son the "watched" flight" - which is nonsense, and absolutely no help at all.

Right click on aircraft in Live Grid or Flight List Grid, select Watch this Flight Messages. Maybe not a good translation, but hardly rocket science.

No affect at all on the RadarBox operation when ACARS Decoder is running - as slick as a slick thing on both my computers.  Decoder only feeds data to RadarBox via a DDE feed, no extra processing for RadarBox there.  Your PC must be running at the limits of its capability.

With respect, Airnav, I think the help files for both programmes could do with a bit of tidying up, particularly with the indexing...

I'd agree with you regarding the ACARS Decoder help file.

Can't agree with you regarding the RadarBox helpfile and manual - Have you looked at the PDF version of the Manual which has both a list of contents and an index?

You rant on old chap if it makes you feel any better :-)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 06:23:41 PM »
Hi Deadcalm.

Regarding spurious positions, there a couple of schools of thoughts on this:

1.) Aircraft has 2 GPS systems and one is faulty and the other is being used by navigation systems. However the transponder uses both one after the other. Hence they give you one good position and one error position.

2.) Transponder isn't working well

3.) An attempt by private jets to hide there position and cause this variation

Just so you sleep in peace :) this has been noted on the competitor products with aircraft being received from further than 400nm away which is not possible. Its a incorrect position which is sent.

As Allocator says the pdf manual for RadarBox is very consise and we will look at the ACARS Decoder one.

Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Deadcalm

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 09:07:33 AM »
Fair enough, thanks for the responses.  I'll take a closer look at the PDF Help document for RadarBox.  I have to say that I am surprised at the apparent "treacliness" of these programmes on my machine - it's a Pentium Quad with 4 Gb on board and pretty capable normally.  It was only a temporary rant, anyway - the programme generally is a very absorbing pastime and great fun.

DC

Deadcalm

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 03:24:09 PM »
Sorry to bang on about this, but the ACARS Watched Flight window is still causing me a problem.  I have selected an aircraft to be watched using the process described by Allocator, but nothing appears in the Flight Watch window, even though other messages from the same aircraft appear in the Live ACARS Grid and Flight List Grid windows.  Is there something I'm neglecting to do?

DC