AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Solar Panels  (Read 2767 times)

raflec

Solar Panels
« on: May 18, 2012, 08:04:34 PM »
I use the aerial that came supplied with radarbox and I locate it in the loft of the house. I use to get anything up to 50 aeroplanes on my screen. I have since put solar panels on the front roof of the house and I have noticed a big reduction in the number of aeroplanes I am getting. Also my Polar diagram is also very much smaller to what It use to be. Is this normal and have other people had this problem. Is there a remedy. Yes I know I can get an external aerial and put it on the roof, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Budgie

• Hebrides Weather
Re: Solar Panels
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 10:09:45 PM »
I suspect that the polar diagram is showing a marked reduction in the same direction as the solar panel, or is it an overall reduction?
The signals from the aircraft are "line of sight" so the clearer the antenna's "view", the better the range. Even trees can reduce the range for external aerials so the fact that yours is in your loft and the roof now has the solar panel fitted will make your aerial quite inefficient in comparison to the same aerial mounted outside.

What sort of range are you getting at the moment?

raflec

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:54:08 PM »
The house faces South. Although the attached screen shot may seem pretty good it is very spiky with very thin veins, with aeroplanes flicking on and off all the time (Timeouts). I use to get a very good distance across the north sea from the rear, but even this has become very restricted now after buying a new computer.

Judwin45

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 06:36:43 AM »
Hi

I had a similar problem.

Many years ago I had my loft profesionally converted.

When I got my RadarBox initially I had the supplied aerial on the bedroom window sill and got good reception in one direction. I thought by putting the aerial in the loft I would get good reception all round, but the reception dropped to very poor. I can only assume that there is something in the lining of the converted ceiling that is blocking the signal.

I now have an external aerial.

Regards
Keith
5 miles south of EGDY