anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CHanging default printer crashes RadarBox  (Read 8429 times)

GreekSpy2001

• Graham's Aircraft Photos
CHanging default printer crashes RadarBox
« on: March 17, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »
Running Win7 Proffesional 64 bit and everytime I change the default printer Airnav crashes, dialogue box says the program has stopped responding because of a fault.  I also get the same problem when starting Photoshop elements 10.  I have reinstalled radarbox sw over and over again to no avail.  There have been other situations that cause this aswell.  No other app behaves this way.  So why radarbox?

Running a fairly high spec dell with 12Gb of memory so it can't be a resources thing.  In the past I have reinstalled Win 7... and I'm uptodate on Windows Update patches

Anyone any offers?  Airnav?   This is winding me up.  I should be able to change the default printer without stopping radarbox!!

Graham

Runway 31

Re: CHanging default printer crashes RadarBox
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 02:30:18 PM »
Graham,

I take it you are using a Windows 7 driver for the printer?  Has doing this alwaysdone it or has it just started doing it?

Alan
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:33:19 PM by Runway 31 »

GreekSpy2001

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:38:51 AM »
Sorry for the delay in replying.  Header is really a bit of a red herring.  Was ilustrating what happened on this occasion.  So its not the print driver. RDB crashed yesterday whilst I was deleting cache/history in browser.  Basically RDB can crash when I carry out fairly normal functions in Win7.  The software seems very flaky when another task performs a function...

Graham

satbopper

• www.radioham.nl
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:32:57 PM »
Hi
Yeah its bad,a lot of common tasks in win7 crashes radarbox
try to change your mouse pointer,i hope this will change in the future
Greetings

Runway 31

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 02:23:52 PM »
I have Windows 7 on 2 computers and have never had any problems with Radarbox on either.  It is possibly something specific related to your computert setup for Windows and drivers for peripherals causing the problem rather than Radarbox related. 

Alan

dantheman

• RadarSpotters.eu
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 02:34:14 PM »
Crazy. I can confirm that changing the mouse pointer on Win 7 64bit crashes the  RadarBox 4.0.3 software. Where do I file a bug alert?
Dan.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »
Yeah its bad,a lot of common tasks in win7 crashes radarbox

I've never seen Radarbox crash when doing anything else on my PC, running Win7 64-bit.  Obviously that's no help to you, but just thought that it's worth pointing out that Radarbox can be very stable on Win7 64-bit.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 07:14:15 PM »
RadarBox is stable on Windows 7.

Make sure you running RadarBox as admin and its installed outside of the virtual store to stop any issues happening. Also please be aware that if you using 3D or the network you are putting pressure on your system, Check your task manager to see what your CPU level is and memory.

If you start running CPU intensive tasks while RadarBox is running you are likely to run into trouble if RadarBox gets behind in processing data from the box.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

orkney

• Database Updater Moderator
    • orkney radarbox screenshot
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 07:31:02 PM »
Hello

I found there are some things that make Radarbox and Shiptrax stop working on one of my computers but not on others. For example on one computer starting Photoshop causes this. On the other if the screen goes off due to the 20 minutes inactivity and then you move the mouse within 2 minutes then the problem occurs but if you leave the screen off long enough it doesn't do any harm. I have tried many different setting on both but it still occurs.

Andrew

GreekSpy2001

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 07:59:08 AM »
Granted it maybe my setup but all my problems have appeared since running 64bit of Win7.  No problems with 32bit.  Photoshop startup causes the crash, changing default printer, clearing browser cache.  Running app as admin not using the virtual folder. 

Seems like a common thread here.  As you say RDB is stable with Win7 64 but a number of us are having similar problem so there is going to be a common set of settings/features in RDB or Win7 64 that is contributing to this.

Graham 

knight01

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:44 AM »
I've also had this happen at random times over last few months.  I thought it was my computer, so reinstalled Windows.
But it still happens.  Last time it happened was on 1st April  2012 when I opened Firefox for internet browsing.  This happens with random applications, It's not happening with Firefox so far, previously Radarbox crashed when I closed Photoshop.

Another problem that just started happening after many months of non occurrence (which I and others have reported before), the aircraft has the globe displayed, but is not displayed on the map until unticking and ticking "process hardware flights".

Runway 31

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »
My experince shows Radarbox with 64bit drivers on 64bit Window 7 Home Premium and Pro shows it to be rock solid with no problems experienced.  I use Firefox on my laptop and Windows Explorer on my main computer

I have installed Radarbox and Photoshop outwith programme files to avoid the Virtual Store problems.  Photoshop sometimes has problems closing but if I press the Close button on the dialog button which comes up, to  it closes and doesnt cause any problems with other programmes. 

I ensured that I have Windows 7 drivers from the peripheral manufacturers websites avoiding the drivers from Microsoft.  Only problem I have had is not being able to get Windows 7 drivers for my Canoscan N650U scanner so its not used.

On my previous XP and Vista setups I had problems initially with USB timeouts but changed these to never time out or close down to reduce the computers power requirements   I also checked my power saving options as initially these would stop the computer when it times out sending it to sleep to save power.  I changed these settings to ensure that my Logitech mouse and Microsoft keyboard were set to be able to bring windows out of sleep or hibernation just in case using their properties settings and also changed the power saving setting to set them not to power down the computer.  Because it appeared to freeze I thought the computer was hanging and as the mouse and keyboard were not set to awaken it, this further suggested it was frozen  when it was in fact the computer  in power save mode after a set period of inactivity.  The only way out was to close down the computer and re-start.

I am no computer expert but try to learn from mine and other users previous problems and set the computer up initially or if necessary by re-formatting it and starting again to get the best set up for me and to minimise the risk of problems.  It may be that Radarbox is not the problem but that it may be being affected by other programmes or flaky drivers on your computer.

Thats my experience anyway.

Alan