anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Network Location Map  (Read 4307 times)

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Network Location Map
« on: March 24, 2008, 04:03:06 PM »
Hi

A couple of things - the Network Location Map coloured circles are so opaque that where there are more than three overlapped, you can't see the map - could they be changed to outline circles only?

Secondly, when I choose Auto-detect My Location in the Home Station Data box in Preferences, my location is detected as Hampstead - about 200 miles from me up here in Lancashire. Why should it be so far out, and is that wrong location being shown on the Network Location Map? I tried disconnecting from the network to see if a map pin disappeared, but I didn't spot it if it did!

Rod
Rod

steveb25

Re: Network Location Map
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:14:45 PM »
Rod

Your location error? could well be to do with your ISP.

I assume, and Airnav or others will correct me if I'm wrong, is that when you auto-detect it uses the IP address and thus this is usual linked into your ISP.

Hence the ISP's location comes up which can and usually is many miles away.
It can also change when you release the lease from the line or reset the router.

Hope that helps

RodBearden

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:22:27 PM »
Thanks for that, Steveb, - it that's the case wouldn't it make the auto-detect function pretty much useless? Wouldn't it place all users in Tiscali Towers or TalkTalk Mansions :-)

Rod
Rod

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:25:28 PM »
Yes that is correct, Some ISPs give accurate information to the town you are in others just give there location. Its best we can do without have a GPS device in RadarBox :)

The Network map was designed to show coverage, but as the sites have grown so rapidly recenetely it may need a redevelopment.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

RodBearden

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 03:18:58 PM »
Well, that would explain why currently there's a network pin in northern India, but returns showing round Bombay, and, presumably why there's a  pin north of Toronto, but absolutely no returns from round there.

Could AirNav not use our Home Lat/Long rather than our IP addresses?

Rod
Rod

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 03:22:18 PM »
We could but that would be invasion of privacy :) Espically when the pin would be placed direct on your house.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

RodBearden

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 03:29:22 PM »
OK, remove a few decimal places (or seconds, or whatever) from the precision first, then!

Either that, or I'll put the kettle on!
:-)

Rod
Rod

steveb25

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 07:41:38 PM »
Rod

I can see the problem from both sides.

What I did, was as you suggested, got out my satnav, goto a location and round it down a bit. It still puts me in North Lincolnshire, but it avoids the pin going through my roof. The other half would not be happy with that seeing we have just re-decorated!!