AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Masthead Preamp  (Read 2366 times)

lanner

Masthead Preamp
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:13:31 PM »
Anyone ever tried placing Radar Box and Masthead Pre-amp, ELAD A12-1090, including BT-12 Bias Tee, at top of mast, with required 12VDC run up the mast along with PC connection using USB/CAT5 to reduce RF Signal Loss, not to mention the considderable cost saving on Westflex !!

One other question if I may, why cant I see aircraft using local airport, in my case Newquay (NQY)?

John in Cornwall

Runway 31

Re: Masthead Preamp
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »
Regarding the aircraft using Newquay.  I would imagine they will not be be ADSB equipped so you will not see them.

Alan

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »
Hi John, From your handle, I assume you're in Lanner!   The system you describe sounds absolutely ideal, and if you're at the top of Lanner, you should get some good results, especially to the south and west.   Please post a polar diagram after a few days monitoring.  Attached may be one of mine with AN supplied twig.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

lanner

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:04:26 AM »
Good Morning to Runway31 and CoastGuardJon
Many thanks to you both for your speedy and very welcome replies to my recent questions.
Specifically Runway31’s comment suggesting ADSB may not be available is understood, and I do thank you. I’ll get to grips with the various intricacies of this new hobby one day !
To CoastGuardJoh, sadly my location not at the top of Lanner, I’m about as low as possible, (50.214N -05.192W) opposite The Coppice pub if you know it.
Currently using USB to feed from external antenna to RB.
The ELAD preamp, fitted at masthead, is the next project.
Thank you both again.
John