anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 50 Free RadarBox Units to Expand Network Coverage  (Read 187168 times)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: 50 Free RadarBox Units to Expand Network Coverage
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2012, 12:50:00 AM »
People can still apply depending on their location. Only remote and very interesting locations will be accepted.

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2012, 01:02:20 AM »
Drazick, come on mate, you are getting a free radar box,

Interesting take on it... I wonder who actually owns the box?.

Given that he has a contract that says Airnav will pay for all shipping costs, I don't think its unreasonable that they pay for the duties to get it to the final location.

The bottom line is that Airnav benefit from having the increased coverage on their network, not the guy who's paying for internet access and electricity for it and the computer to be online 24*7.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2012, 01:25:16 AM »
PJM

1 - Where does AirNav say that they will pay for all shipping costs?
2 - do "shipping costs" include local duties and taxes? They don't on eBay, for example.
3 - how many users would only pay for internet access because they had a RadarBox?
4 - the cost of a RadarBox equates to an awful lot of electricity, and many users keep their boxes on 24/7 no matter how much they paid for their box.
5 - Do you have a qualification in gift-horse mouth inspection, or do you just do it as a hobby ;-)

Point 5 is only a joke, but I don't think it's a problem that AirNav, as well as all the network users, will benefit from the increased coverage that this offer is already generating.

Rod
Rod

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2012, 02:36:34 AM »
1 - Where does AirNav say that they will pay for all shipping costs?

Apparently in the contract Airnav have with (at least some) of the people volunteering to run these "free" boxes, according to Drazick who has been accepted into the program, and would have signed the said contract. Being asked to pay 60 € for a "free" box doesn't sound like what was offered to me.

in the contract with AirNav systems, they become responsible for all shipping costs

I guess its Airnav's call - they can pay the duties and get coverage in the Canary Islands, or the box can be returned to them.

3 - how many users would only pay for internet access because they had a RadarBox?

Not sure about where you live but we don't have unlimited internet here - there are quotas, and if you have a device uploading 24*7 then it will be eating into your allowance. Its not nice being capped when you go over your allowance.

4 - the cost of a RadarBox equates to an awful lot of electricity, and many users keep their boxes on 24/7

Most people don't leave their computers running 24*7, so doing so would add considerably to their electricity bill - possibly a few dollars per day - multiply that by months or years and the additional costs would be considerable. The radarbox hardware doesn't run without a computer and software.

5 - Do you have a qualification in gift-horse mouth inspection, or do you just do it as a hobby ;-)

Well I could have put my hat in the ring for one of these boxes, but I didn't because I don't see any benefit to myself, only additional costs and inconvenience.

Sorry if you don't like my opinion, but that's what it is.

jaskel

« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2012, 04:16:49 AM »
oh come on, the amount of data this would upload is next to nothing.

I kno hen i buy from ebay with free shipping, this doesnt include duties! If I buy from overseas and pay 40 bux shipping then pay another 10 for duties then so be it.

The guy should have contacted his local customs office and found out if he would have to pay duties, its not up to Air Nav.

I am very grateful to be on the program and what they have provided me, not only do I get to expand my interest/hobby of Aviation, I get to spread it with everyone.

Thank you Air Nav, you guys rock!

Let ol mate send his box back, then give it to someone that genuinely wants to help and will appreciate it.

neroon79

« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2012, 05:02:52 AM »
Upload is next to nothing? I have approximately 60MB to 70MB per Day makes 2000MB to 2500MB per month. I wouldn't say that's next to nothing... Especially if you have to pay by volume or time.

As for Germany: One Netbook with Radarbox plus Preamp running 24/7 makes approx. 40€ per year, at current electricity price per kWh. A Quad Core Desktop PC would be consuming... ..., well, I don't want to think that one through.

The duties for the Box's price would have been much higher I guess...

Anyway, too bad, that I live in an area with already good coverage...

Although, how is it about a replacement box for my first Box that is running for about three and a half years non stop now (that's about 30000 hours). Green Power LED: Dead, Blue LED: almost dead, white LED: 60% brightness. Airnav, you should consider not to run the Status LEDs on the edge of the rated forward current. ;-) Are there any information about long-term reliability of the boxes available? Usual Home Cinema and HiFi is AFAIK set to an average life time of 20000 hours. After more than 30.000 hours of running time I'm asking myself, when I should start to put some money aside for a replacement box.
Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2012, 01:52:03 PM »
Drazick,

Firstly putting all this information on the forum is very naive of you. The contract etc.. and other details were between you and us and should NOT be placed in the public etc.. and we have removed it. Furthermore Andre and us did reply to you. If your not getting the emails please PM and we will reply to you that way.

Furthermore we are also shocked to learn you have RadarBox anyway, why couldn't you share the data from that box. Unfortunately Sir as you have put all these details on the forum you will get other customers getting annoyed at you. Its best you deal with us one to one and NOT over the fourm otherwise expect to get some comments you won't like from other customers.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2012, 03:06:18 PM »
Current coverage.
http://batchgeo.com/map/3f48ac3541b053f62c65ab37df085be6

Hopefully these free boxes are extending coverage well, although 4 boxes currently have blanks in their CITY/COUNTRY settings in Preferences, and a couple of others have 'sdfsd','sdfsdf' and 'sls','mylo'.  These can't be shown on my coverage map :(

RNAGG

• Aerococus
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2012, 03:36:30 PM »
Hello tarbat!

If you want you can put my exact location in Sao Paulo - Brazil.

The coordinates are: -23.508845 ° -46.563426 °.

Runway 31

« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2012, 03:54:08 PM »
df in Mexico would be nice to see some movements from

Alan

Drazick

« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2012, 06:21:22 PM »
Canary Islands in the air.

My range is limited on the west by mountain barrier.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:34:01 PM by Drazick »

FACTflights

• Amateur Radio is my hobby.
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2012, 06:44:02 PM »
Hi,

I still do not know whether you guys are seeing anything from me here in Cape Town.  We only get a few aircraft that show their position.

It would be nice to have confirmation that I am contributing some data.

John
John
ZS1AGH
We live under a rock:  Table Mountain

Icom IC 706 Mk II G; Icom IC 726; Icom IC T22E; Yaesu 290R; Alinco DJ-V5 
No HF antennae at the moment.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2012, 07:00:58 PM »
FACTflights,

Yes you are contrubuting though the amount is quite small at the moment. Try and get a external antenna which should improve your reception. We do expect ADS-B traffic in Cape Town.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2012, 07:01:02 PM »
Hi John

Yes - we have been seeing returns from the FACT area. As long as you haven't turned sharing off, and have some ADSB aircraft in MyFlights, we will be seeing them.

Nothing at this precise moment, though.

Rod
Rod

FACTflights

• Amateur Radio is my hobby.
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2012, 07:24:08 PM »
AirNav Support and Rod,

Thanks chaps.  I have an external antenna.  Going to install it higher this weekend.  We have Table Mountain very close and directly to the West of us.  Although very few flights go that way.

34.02083S  18.48917E

John
John
ZS1AGH
We live under a rock:  Table Mountain

Icom IC 706 Mk II G; Icom IC 726; Icom IC T22E; Yaesu 290R; Alinco DJ-V5 
No HF antennae at the moment.