AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oooh it's slow!  (Read 6064 times)

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Oooh it's slow!
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 11:10:35 AM »
I start fresh each day, and this morning, with no other apps running, it took 4:17 minutes before the first aircraft appeared on the (2D) map.

I reckon the slowest factor is loading MyLog, which is now 275Mb - but then I'm using one that I haven't pruned since summer 2008 - I like to see the histories!

And I've got all the outlines including the high-res ones, logos, and silhouettes of course.

Rod
Rod

ACW367

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »
ACW367,

Probably 'teaching granny to suck eggs' but regarding the map on start up not being correct are you going into Window>Record Desktop before logging off ?

I do keep forgetting about that button.  But even getting to the first map is still usually over 10 mins and occasionally up to 20 mins. 

Lou

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 10:15:02 AM »
You can speed up things in several different ways,open task manager and see how many processes you have running, about 35/40 is the target you should be looking for on a quad core desktop 35 or less on a reasonably fast laptop.If you run a programme called CC/cleaner, in the tools section the startup option gives you a list of all running progs and the option to disable startup on any you don`t need.While in T/M right click on the Airnav process select priority/high this can cause instability if you are short on memory or your temp folder is brim full, realtime is for fast computers but you can work through the options until you find a stable setting. Finally the thing that really cracked it for me (less than 40 seconds startup) I changed my HDD for an SSD expensive but so worth it. Regards Lou.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 10:49:35 AM »
SSDs will help the running and startup of RadarBox.

A few customers mentioned why the RadarBox software causes a lot of hard drive activity, its due to the database saves that are required and other downloads such as network data, pictures. As machines head to SSDs this should not be so noticeable any more.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 02:52:50 PM »
How many entries does your database have?

During the load up, RadarBox does some validation checks on the database as well as loading some to memory. The larger the database the more work it needs to do on startup.

This doesn't bode well for any significant increases in aircraft/routes added to the database does it?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 03:26:05 PM »
Its worth it, is the easiest answer :)

Its best to load up the database to memory at the start to improve running speed when RadarBox has started. Regarding validation, again it has to be done to confirm the database is not corrupted.

There are items in the pipeline for the database such as new indexes on the tables which should improve the loading and searching however.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]