anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: xxx Msgs/Sec (yy)  (Read 3170 times)

lwgxc08

xxx Msgs/Sec (yy)
« on: November 17, 2011, 02:03:35 PM »
Probably a very silly question but could someone explain what this message at the bottom of the Interface window is actually telling me?

Regards

Geoff

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: xxx Msgs/Sec (yy)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 02:17:52 PM »

lwgxc08

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:28:08 PM »
Thanks Tarbat.

Makes some kind of sense.  I guess it is a reflection on the way my set-up is performing.  Are there any "ballpark" figures I should hope to see?  Looking like around 200 (30) at the moment, 15 miles or so from LHR.

Regards

Geoff

FL350

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 02:38:58 AM »
Thanks Tarbat.

Makes some kind of sense.  I guess it is a reflection on the way my set-up is performing.  Are there any "ballpark" figures I should hope to see?  Looking like around 200 (30) at the moment, 15 miles or so from LHR.

Regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I was myself going to start a thread related to this to follow up on a semi-related thread.

I'd say if you're using the stock aerial those numbers don't seem out of line considering you live in a busy area. I live 6nm from KJFK and typically get quite close to that with the 'travel antenna'.

Over the summer I set up a DPD vertical aerial in very ideal conditions (~12m off the ground with only about 7m of very low-loss cable to the box) and now believe I am either feeding the ANRB all it can possibly handle and/or pushing the limits of Mode S / ADS-B reception itself. During peak hours I'm receiving a rough average of 600 messages / sec and about (130). I've seen the numbers hit 900+

If and when you consider investing in a DPD/ WIMO, etc., I'd be interested to know your results and additionally, the subsequent behaviour of your system. I've been meaning to post before / after screenshots of my own setup, and to be honest, the range and flight return increase has been remarkable.

Can anyone else in high traffic areas with optimised setups advise on msgs per sec and box performance???

Many thanks!

FL350